Hamburger Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, March 11, 2009, 02:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Helheim on April 27, 2009, 01:08:51 PM
You use a wet marinade with ground meat? Can you explain how that works? Do you have a sample recipe?

Thanks.

Welcome Helheim to the forum.

Yeah 10.5 is right, kiki the jerky pup will tear ya up for the jerky   

Anyways

Helheim the secret to a wet marinade for GB jerky is not to add to much liquid per pound of GB. If you use a jerky cannon or sausage stuffer to extrude the jerky, too much liquid will make the extruder "Burp" and make the strips look distorted in shape besides being real messy. I go by 1/2 cup of liquid per pound of meat. for 5lbs of meat i would say 2 1/2 cups added slowly and pinch tested after 1 1/2 cups. What i mean by pinch tested is pinch off a hunk of the GB and see if its firm and tacky. If its squishy and gooey like there is too much liquid in it. However all is not lost if you added to much liquid. Just place the GB mix on a wire rack, place rack on cookie sheet and cover the top of the mix with clear wrap and place in fridge. The excess liquid will fall to the cookie sheet overnight. When taking the mix out leave sit at room temp for about an hour, this will make it easier to extrude if you use a jerky cannon.

Anyways enough rambling   here is a Teriyaki recipe for ya.

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 T olive oil  (only if your GB is 90% or more lean) I use 85/15 or grind my own.
1 t minced garlic (you can use the jar kind)
1 t salt (non iodized)
1 t black pepper
1/2 t liquid smoke (OPT)
1 t cure just less than
1 pound GM

Mix all the dry with the liquid and let stand for 30 mins before adding to GM. Mix well into GM, extrude onto racks covered with jerky screens. Yard And Pool has screens.

If you plan on smoking this leave out the liquid smoke and add just slightly less than 1 t of cure #1.

Use 3-5 pucks of your choice @ 150* testing and rotating racks often. Bump the heat to 160*  then 170* and to 180* at your discretion. You want the jerky to bend not break.

Your vent should be 1/2 to full open and no water in your pan.

Now for the dehydrator way.

Use above recipe and dehydrate at 145* to 155* until bendable.

Well i hope this helps you some.

nepas

Helheim

Is this what you mean by cure #1?

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6

Also how do you know when to increase the temp?

Thanks

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Helheim on April 28, 2009, 06:56:08 AM
Is this what you mean by cure #1?

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6

Also how do you know when to increase the temp?

Thanks

Yes that's cure #1, you would only need a bag of 4oz which would last you awhile.

Say you started the temp at 150* for 3 hours, the meat looks raw still, bump to 165* for another 2 hours and see if the meat is getting done. Don't increase the temp past 180* or you will have a fat-out which means your cooking instead of drying.

nepas

Helheim

Do you have a good flavourful spicy recipe to share?
Thanks.