First Time

Started by ticobbq, November 25, 2010, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ticobbq

I juist unboxed my new digital smoker this morning and am going to smoke six 3 pound boneless turkey roasts/breasts.  I have apple bisquettes and am looking at 3 hour smoke and 8 hours cook.  I was told eight hours by another person with bradley digital.  I rubbed the breasts last night and just put them ion the smoker about 30 minutes ago.  I did not preheat the smoker and just noticed that the temo is 115.  I guess I should have pre-heated the smoker because the breast were still cold.  Should I pull them out and let it preheat or just ioncrease the time?

Jim O

Welcome Ticobbq.

Just curious - did you season your smoker before your first "real" smoke ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

RAF128

What temp did you set the Smoker at?    How long have the breast been in the smoker?    What's the outside temp?    Preheating would have helped by don't see any benefit of starting over.   I also don't see where you seasoned it before hand.    That's good for the smoker to burn off any stuff in the smoker after manufacture and a good test to see if the smoker is working properly..

ticobbq

Wow!!!  Thanks for the fast responses.  No,I didn't know about the seasoning of the smoker.  Watched another guy use his but forgot to ask if he seasoned his.  I have set the smoker for 280 degrees and 4 hours of smoke.  I'm in costa rica and it's about 80 degrees here.  Just checked the smoker temp and it's at 122 after about an hour since it started.  How about the cook and smoke times, are they realistic.  I have a digital probe and it looks like I need around a 160 - 165 internal temp?  Thanks Again.

RAF128

You've got 18 lbs of cold meat in there and that will keep the temp down for sure.   IMO it should have been warmer by now.    You say you have a digital probe.   Where is it in the cabinet?  Should be below the meat, not above it.  Can you see if the element is glowing red?   

KyNola

160 IT is perfect for those birds.  18 pounds of cold birds straight out of the fridge into a cold Bradley is going to take quite a while to build up heat in the tower.  This one is going to take a while.  There is an alternative.  Once you get the smoke on them, move them to your house oven and finish them there.  If you choose to go that route, don't open the door on the Bradley again until you're ready to move them.  Also, if you have not done so, open the vent 100% wide open.  Those birds have a lot of moisture that needs to escape.  It will hold your temp down otherwise.  One other thing, you did put water in the bowl, right?