900 watt element installed in OBS

Started by muebe, April 26, 2011, 11:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Good lookin Tri-Tip, just keep rubbin it why dont ya.  :D

Glad to here every thing is workin out for ya.

Quote from: muebe on April 30, 2011, 02:09:52 PM
First smoke today with the new element. Just put a tri-tip in the OBS. It is really windy today but the temp is very steady right a 225F and the recovery time is quick! It is really nice only having a 10 minute pre-heat time with the 60 degree temps outside 8) I have done over 10 hours of testing time on the element with no problems so far....

I just did a 10+ hr smoke/cook this weekend and was wondering if you plan to do any long term smoke/cook on that baby just to see how that element handles the long cooks.

Say a pork butt or brisket.  ;D

muebe

I have a 13lb butt in deep freeze that I plan on smoking in the OBS. I think it is going to be a major test for the element ;) Problem is finding the time to do it between work and kids ::)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Quote from: muebe on May 02, 2011, 09:30:54 AM
I have a 13lb butt in deep freeze that I plan on smoking in the OBS. I think it is going to be a major test for the element ;) Problem is finding the time to do it between work and kids ::)

Sweet.

Right now I'm having a problem finding the time between work and Turkey hunting.  ;D

muebe

Update: I have 20 hours on the element and still going strong....

18 hours @ 225F
2 hours @ 250F
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

20 hr,,,,,,,,,man that was one tuff butt.  :D

muebe

Have not even smoked that butt yet ::)

OU812

sieler

Devo...

I'm in the same boat.  Bought  my DBS in Jan '11, original element died within 3 weeks,
replacement died today (8 hours into a pork shoulder ... I was lucky, the Maverick ET-732's
low-BBQ-temp alarm went off!)