Meat thermometer

Started by Cheech, December 28, 2013, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheech

I'm looking for a wireless meat thermometer.  Suggestions?  I hear the Maverick wireless is good. 

If I'm cooking three items...is there a wireless thermometer that can take and display readings from three independent probes?  Will I have to buy three individual sets?  Will the sets interfere with each other on the same frequency?  Any thoughts?

I just looked up the Maverick "wireless" thermometers...and despite the title it appears as though they have wires.  As best I can tell the wires must be plugged into an RF transmitter...which can't be placed inside the smoker.  The only solution I see (and it's not a neat solution) is to put the probes into the meat and then run the wires out the vent and leave the RF transmitter on top of my smoker.  Is this how you do it?

GusRobin

I put one probe hanging in the cabinet, the other in the meat. I just run them in the door opening. The door closes on the wires and there is no "leakage".
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: Cheech on December 28, 2013, 08:30:27 PMThe only solution I see (and it's not a neat solution) is to put the probes into the meat and then run the wires out the vent and leave the RF transmitter on top of my smoker.  Is this how you do it?

With the ET-732 or newer ET-733 you can have both probes monitor different foods although you will lose the monitoring of the chamber temp.  I run the wires out the door.  The gasket seals tightly enough that no smoke or heat leaks out.

Cheech

Thanks guys...heat loss was my worry...sounds like I'm good to go.

Grouperman941

I usually run my wires out the vent. I use 4 less expensive thermometers. I consider them disposable, but the current set has lasted over a year.

I have a PID too, which has one meat probe.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Cheech

Thanks all.  I just ordered the Maverick 733.  Should be here later this week and I can get back to learning.

UncleAl

Sailor

If you need more than 1 probe you should check out http://www.tappecue.com/ I have tossed my maverick in the back drawer since purchasing the tappecue.  It has 4 probes and you can monitor your cooks on your phone or iPad.  You can monitor your cooks from anywhere as long as you have WiFi or internet access.  You can download a graph of your cooks.  At $199 it is a bit pricey but lot cheaper then buying 4 mavericks and you don't have to worry about batteries.  Just sayin  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Grouperman941

Quote from: Sailor on December 29, 2013, 02:46:01 PM
If you need more than 1 probe you should check out http://www.tappecue.com/ I have tossed my maverick in the back drawer since purchasing the tappecue.  It has 4 probes and you can monitor your cooks on your phone or iPad.  You can monitor your cooks from anywhere as long as you have WiFi or internet access.  You can download a graph of your cooks.  At $199 it is a bit pricey but lot cheaper then buying 4 mavericks and you don't have to worry about batteries.  Just sayin  ;D

Definitely on my list. Looks awesome.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

TarGOST

90 day warranty seems lame. :(