First time smoker!

Started by Rockpig, October 23, 2009, 12:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig

Hello all, just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself.  My name is Bob and I live in NJ.  Being a fan of a good pulled pork meal I've longed for a place near me to open and eventually one did.  After a meal of brisket and pulled pork my girl and I were very satisfied, until we got the bill-$45!
Then and there I decided it was time to get a smoker and do it myself.  A quick search yielded me a Jim Beam edition 4 rack digital smoker, new but a scratch and dent.  It should arrive on Monday according to UPS! 
I'm sure I'll be surfing this site all weekend awaiting the arrival of my smoker.  I'll also be looking for a good source for briquettes.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Rockpig!

Warning - smoking food is addictive!

Be sure to read our FAQ's http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481

and click on the ribs at the bottom of this post for our tried and true recipes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun Rockpig

Amazon has good deals every now and then on the bisquettes.

Just a heads up you dont have to smoke more than 3 or 4 hr with the butt the rest of the time is just cooking.

Rockpig

Thanks for the welcome.  I'll check out the FAQ's.  Seems like Walmart.com has good prices according to amazon.com.  I'll just have them ship to my local store to avoid shipping and pick them up from there.  I guess I'll get a variety pack till I figure out what I like.  What is the most commonly used/ most versatile briquette?

muzzletim

You will enjoy the forum, great advice and whole bunch of really nice people!

Welcome

Tim
Tim

OU812

Quote from: Rockpig on October 23, 2009, 12:53:10 PM
What is the most commonly used/ most versatile briquette?

Thats up to you, I like Hickory for Bacon and ham, Oak for brisket, Alder or Apple for poultry and Pecan for every thing in between.

Mesquite-very strong flavor
Hickory-strong flavor
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-milder version of hickory
Apple-mild, fruity flavor
Alder-light flavor with a hint of sweetness
Cherry-mild, fruity
Maple-like fruit, sweet flavor

Quarlow

Hey Rockpig welcome to to forum.You are going to love this place. As far as which flavour of Bisquetteto use, well that is such a personal thing. We started heated ribbing on here with that question. LOL It is basicly a trial and see what you like. You will use one for certain foods and another for some other foods.
But this might help a little:
Mesquite-very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-mild
Cherry-mild & fruity
Apple-mild,fruity with slight sweetness
Alder-light with a hint of sweetness
But you will be getting a barage of opinion on the subject. Some will swear that only Mesquite will do and others will like something else only. I use Alder for smoked salmon, I have had good success with Apple on pork, but it comes down to what you like. Start with something not to strong and adjust from there. Or start with someones recipe or suggestion and see what you think. But what ever you use Good luck and remember your not alone, their is always someone on here. See OU812 beat me to it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Rockpig

Thanks for the help on the briquettes.  I'll check out the recipes and try something small since it's only me and my girl.  Looking forward to getting my unit on Monday!

OU812

Chicken is quick and easy to do, just keep the vent WIDE OPEN when doing poultry. The skin has lots of moisture in it and you want the moisture to escape.

Start with a mild wood like Apple and only smoke for 1 hr to see if it is what you want and go from there.

Get your self a good meat thermometer and go with internal temp to tell if its done. Chicken is done at 160 F

Good luck and keep us posted

classicrockgriller

Rockpig welcome to the forum. Like they said if you have any questions just ask. People here are always willing to help.

HawkeyeSmokes

Not much I can add except welcome to the forum Rockpig!
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 23, 2009, 03:11:24 PM
Not much I can add except welcome to the forum Rockpig!
Yep Welcome Aboard
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum BOB and as FLBR said smoking is addictive. The good news is there is no cure.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 24, 2009, 06:46:40 AM
The good news is there is no cure.

There certainly is!

Cure #1, Cure #2, MTQ...

;D ;D ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Hi Rockpig and welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you'll enjoy both the forum and smoking.

Be sure to read the manual for the smoker and season it prior to your first use. 

Chicken is a good choice.  It's fairly inexpensive.  If you blow it, you can always get a pizza.   ;)

This is some chicken breast I did a little while back.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11967.0

This is a whole bird cut in half.  It was finished on the grill.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11673.0

This is a good post on how to cut your yard bird in half.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11817.0

And definitely, keep the vent wide open with poultry.  I've gotten to the point of going with 3/4 to full open with pretty much everything.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.