Started by Smoker50, December 28, 2010, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoker50

Thanks Kevin...

Do you use the PID?
Brian

"How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat?"

ArnieM

Hi Smoker50 and welcome to the forum.  I'll tell you everything I know.  It won't take long.

I have the OBS.  Yes, opening the door will let the hot air out.  It's well insulated but there's no thermal mass in there.  Some of us use bricks wrapped in foil to add mass.  When the foil gets greasy, remove and rewrap.  They help to keep a more stable temp.

When heating it up, use boiling water in the water pan.  Also helps in shortening the heating time.  Then put a probe in your meat and keep the danged door closed!

I've had my unit for well over a year and have not done any modifications.  Some people like to tinker with it.

I didn't use a PID until fairly recently.  IMHO, if you're doing butt or brisket you really don't need it, but it's nice to have.  The PID (I have the single probe) can be programmed in six steps for time and temp.  I was dehydrating peppers, set the PID for 135 and 5 hours and went and took a nap.

Keep the vent mostly open, especially for poultry.  You want to get the moist air out of the cabinet.  It seems a little counter intuitive but it's true.  Mine is always full open.

The unit works well in cold weather - just keep it out of the wind.

Keep the V-Tray clean.  Careful though, the vents can be sharp.

I told you it wouldn't take long.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

GusRobin

Quote from: Smoker50 on December 28, 2010, 11:12:41 AM
Thanks Gus!

UGH! I'm reading about all the modifications, installing fans, 2nd heating elements.....Is all that necessary? I don't want to get in over my head. I'm not much of a handyman when it comes to modifying things like this. And won't if void the warranty when you start cutting holes to install other accessories?
As Carny said, many run without any mods and are fine. The mod to add the second element is very easy. There are good instructions on line and plenty of folks willing to help. That is one mod i think you will be happy you did, especilly if you are like me and like to peek.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoker50

Ok then...I'm thinking the obs/pid combo sounds like the best option. And second heating element.

You guys rock! Thanks for all the help and I hope to talk more in the future!
Brian

Tenpoint5

Other than a adding a PID for sausage making. I haven't made any mods to my unit. No Problems so far.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

I've just been watching because my advice would be basically no different than above.  But now, I will say I have the OBS, dual probe PID and have the second element and love it! Good luck!

Smoker50

What if I just get the OBS and try it a few times and if I find that I am not having problems with temp control, I can just skip the PID. It sounds like those with PID's are using them for real specific items.
Brian

jimmyb

There is no need to get the PID and the second element right away with the OBS. I've had mine for a few months now and did a lot of smoking. Mostly pork butts, briskets, ribs, and cheese. Works great for that. Sure, I would like to have faster temp recovery times but it's not stopping me from some great smoking. I actually just got the Auber dual PID and ordered the second element. I will be installing them soon but was happy with the unit as it came.

So go ahead and get the OBS and start smoking. You WILL realize that the temps take a while to get up there but just add a little extra time to your total cook time and you'll be fine.

watchdog56

I  have a 4 rack digital and I bought it mainly to smoke sausage that I wanted to start making myself. Well I have made lots of other stuff,Ribs,butts,prime rib,cheese,hamburger etc. I do have a PID and a Maverick ET 73 thermometer to monitor temps of cabin and food. I have not done any mods. I do use a brick in the bottom but have not wrapped it in foil(Don't know if that makes a difference or not). If I had to do it over again I would probably just get the OBS and a PID to monitor the temps for sausage. I am  not sure but once you find out how to program the OBS for certain temps you need for ribs or butts that should suit you just fine. The 4 rack digital temps can swing +/- 10 degrees where using a PID can regulate that more with +/- 2 degrees. I live in Minnesota where it can get plenty cold so I just keep it in the garage in the winter and open the window. You need to make sure it stays out of the wind.

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the Forum Smoker50!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KevinG

No, I didn't use the PID either, all stock.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Smoker50

Well gentlemen, I do appreciate all the advice you guys gave me, but when it was all said and done, I went with the Big Green Egg.  ::) This thing is just phenomenal. I couldn't pass it up. I used it once just as a grill and am already in love with the thing. I can't wait to start smoking with it!

Thanks again!
Brian