Greetings from Canada

Started by OldHoss, September 26, 2012, 08:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHoss

Ordered my Jim Beam smoker from Costco.ca yesterday....a birthday present it is.   I am waiting for confirmation of mailing....they say it will take 8 days or so...I am hoping it will come faster.   Gonna start a dry rub on some chicken when it is 2 days away.   

I started smoking on my grill a few months ago after experiencing Jamaican pit smoking.  I used a charcoal bed adding wet chunks and chips of wood.  I smoked on the offset grills, varying between upper and lower depending on temperature.  I have had success with Jerk Chicken, Johnsonville Sausages and Indian Candy.   Failures have been with Pork of any kind - 4 times - with a rack of beef ribs and a pair of Turkey wings.   The best of my Jerk Chicken came when I used a dry rub purchased at the farmers market in Montego Bay - and it was best after 2 full days in the fridge.  I have used bought wet rubs and a self prepared wet rub on chicken to varying results...all positve though.  The smoked Pork in Montego Bay was like heaven coming to see me.   So the fact that all my attempts at smoked pork have failed is a concern.   I want to go back to Scotchies so bloody bad....if you are ever in Jamaica a visit to any of the 3 Scotchies locations would be a must.   To go once a day would not be too often in my opinion.   They use pimento aka allspice wood down there.  I have used hickory so far to replicate the taste....I see there is a retailer in Toronto selling Jamaican pimento wood.  Damn!!!  Too bad you cannot get that stuff in the briquettes.   The Bradley folks should really get onto the whole Jamaican thing - Jerk is huge and that pimento wood is a huge part of the "taste".   

I chose the Bradley for 3 main reasons....

1- My brother who worked in a restaurant that had one of these recommended it highly....said everyone in the kitchen loved it.
2- It was on sale at costco.ca and they offer free shipping and good customer service.
3- Winter is approaching and smoking with a Bradley versus a offset smoker "should" be easier.  Not sure about this one but I am pretty sure I will be getting a offset smoker under $500 come next spring.   I am not sure if I will miss the taste of charcoal or not?
If you have it - smoke it.

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

RossP

Welcome from the West Coast, OldHoss, what part of this great country you from?
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

OldHoss

I live in London Ontario Ross.  Just roasted some coffee beans....I am new to the practice....sure smells good though.

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Habanero Smoker

Hi OldHoss;

Welcome to the forum.

I love jerk chicken. I have made many different jerk marinades and rubs, but I have found nothing that beats Walkerswood Jerk Marinade.

Here is a tip I got from Cook's Illustrated. It is a substitute for pimento wood. Hickory works well, but if you can find pecan chips; I feel they work better.

2 tablespoons whole allspice berries
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons water

1 cup wood chips, soaked in water for 15 minutes and drained (I soak my chips overnight)

Combine allspice berries, thyme, rosemary, and water in bowl and set aside to moisten for 15 minutes. Using large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, wrap soaked chips and moistened allspice mixture in foil packet and cut several vent holes in top. Place packet on hot coals,

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ketch22

HI
Welcome OldHosse 
  SMOKING IS BETTER THEN WORKING

Ketch

slowpoke

Welcome fello Canuck,It don't get better than eatin smoke,lol
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

beefmann

destrouk

Hey new guy hope you have a blast some good peeps on here

Mark in Ottawa

Welcome aboard - just down the 401 from you. Enjoy - just about everything out of a Bradley's comes out great.

The people on the board are just salt of the earth - lots of great info here.

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Smoker John

Congrats on your smoker, welcome to the boards
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

OldHoss

UPS says my smoker is gonna be here Friday....it is Thursday now.  So the pressing question is - Do I need to do a seasoning smoke before cooking meat?  If so how long of a seasoning, at what temperature, type of wood suggested.   Also do I need to cool off the unit and then come back for a cook or can I proceed with no haste?  Questions questions......I am stoked baby!!!

Thanks for the tips - Habanero Smoker - I have not used the Walkerswood products yet but have seen them to purchase so I am able to source the stuff.  I have used a few Grace products and a homemade one as well.  The dry rub for the chicken so far has been the ticket.  I am gonna give the Walkerswood a try though.....perhaps soon.  I do have to put something in the smoker to try this baby out.

Habanero Smoker

I have also used Grace products, they are good also.

You don't have to let the unit cool off, but if you are going to start smoking/cooking right after the period of seasoning, I would season the longer period of time; which would be 2 hours. During seasoning it is best to keep the vent wide open. Keep in mind; if you don't have Bubba Pucks, to apply 2 hours of smoke you will need 8 bisquettes (the last two bisquettes are not pushed to the burner). Keeping the smoker at 150°F without food is difficult. If you go a little higher that is alright, but keep it at a minimum of 150°F.

The below article, goes into seasoning the smoker in more detail then the Bradley manual:
Seasoning Your Bradley Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Keymaster

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike