Got me an elk...now what to make

Started by Northern_Smoke, October 02, 2011, 10:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Well my freezer has a lot of elk in it this year. I just finished making 15 pounds of jerky nuggets which turned out great. I was thinking about doing some of this meat into pastrami and sticks but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions since there is a fair amount of meat to use up :)
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Keymaster

Summer Sausage in the Fall is always good with some Tillamook cheese ;D

Northern_Smoke

That is one thing I have never made. I might have to go looking for a recipe and see what I can make.

Piker

I use the good cuts as tenderloin,backstrap, sirloin etc. as same as I would do beef. It is very flavorfull and is the 3rd healthiest meat out there. Piker

Caneyscud

Elk makes up some mighty good tamales also.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Sub in some Ground Elk for the beef and make you some HotDogs!

Hot Dogs
1 lb porkbutt
1 lb GB (I used 80/20)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/4 tsp ground marjoram
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp sugar (Organic sugar)
1 Tbl salt (Fine sea salt)
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 egg white (Home grown)
1/4 milk (Skim)

Grind the meat 3 times through 3/16" plate put in the freezer 30 min between each grind then add the seasonings mix well then in the freezer again for 30 min and grind again. Or Emulsify in Food Processor

I poached these so I added 1 Tbl liquid smoke.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Northern_Smoke

Well the hot dogs were awesome and the pastrami was out if this world. Really looking forward to the tamales and summer sausage. The grain of the meat is so much finer than that of beef. The pastrami literally melted and fell apart in my mouth.

Thank you everyone for the ideas :)

wkahler

:o See the problem is there has been a issue with Elk meat in your area..............so its best if you send to me here in Ohio.  We have a special disposal area at my house where we will get ride of it the proper way LOL!!!!  :o
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: wkahler on October 26, 2011, 05:37:53 AM
:o See the problem is there has been a issue with Elk meat in your area..............so its best if you send to me here in Ohio.  We have a special disposal area at my house where we will get ride of it the proper way LOL!!!!  :o
Haha I will see if I can get it to your disposal area :) there were 5 of us with tags and we filled all 5 in a week. Descent hunting this time around.

wkahler

Well.............that makes me hate you even more LOL!!!  Can't wait to be able to take a trip to get me a good freezer full of meat like that!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!