Easter Ham Glaze

Started by MWS, April 04, 2007, 12:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

It's a little early still, but Happy Easter to all. Hope everyone gets to spend some quality time with family and friends.

I have a question to ask you fine folks. I'm starting to prepare for Easter Sunday dinner and I was wondering if anyone has a favourite ham glaze recipe. I bought a 9 lb uncooked bone-in half shank ham that I'm going to smoke using maple wood. I figure that I'll place the ham in the oven (@ 350F) for the last hour with a glaze brushed on. I've searched the site and found some great advice on smoke cooking the ham (thanks as always to Habanero Smoker  8)), but would like to get some ideas on a glaze. Thanks in advance all.

Well, I might as well ask this too.....what side dishes do you like to serve with your Easter ham. Again, I am in the early planning stages and would love to hear ideas. Cheers.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Tiny Tim

Here's one I found on the foodnetwork site that looks good

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_29366,00.html?rsrc=search

As for sides, I like simplicity...Mashed taters with gravy, scalloped corn, and pecan or chocolate pie, or cheesecake for dessert.

Habanero Smoker

Here's my favorite glaze; it's the one I used on my last cured ham, and will be using it again this Sunday. For those cooking spiral cut hams, works even better.

Glaze (and roasting instructions are a variation of a recipe by America's Test Kitchen)
3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or 1 cup if you are not using the Maple sugar
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

Roasting (cooking times and internal temperatures is for a precooked ham):
Remove a precooked ham from the refrigerator, and line a 9x13 pan with a double layer of aluminum foil long enough to wrap the ham in. Make the glaze by combining all ingredients and whisking together. Place ham in pan, and liberally brush with glaze. Wrap tightly in foil, and let sit at room temperature for 1.5 hours. Adjust oven rack to the lowest level, and preheat the oven to 300°F. Bake until the internal temperature is 100°F. This will take about 2-3 hours, calculate about 17 minutes per pound.

Remove ham from oven, and roll back the foil to expose ham. Increase oven temperature to 450°F. Brush ham liberally with glaze and return to oven. After 15 minutes, apply another liberal coat of glaze and bake for another 30 - 40 minutes; until glaze becomes a golden brown and sticky. Remove ham from oven, apply another liberal coat of glaze and loosely foil. Allow to rest 30-40 minutes before carving. During resting time, you can baste the ham with its juices once or twice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

coyote

Hey Tim ,
       Not tryin' to be nosey or anything , but.....................what time's dinner ? ???

Coyote ;D

Habanero Smoker

Here is my favorite holiday side dish. Again it is a variation of a recipe from Amercian Kitchens, and Shirley O. Corriher's recipe from her book "CookWise". Sometimes on step #4 I will add hot pepper flakes. I can't tell you exactly how much; I just sprinkle them on.

BRAISED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON AND PECANS
Serves 8 to 10

8    strips bacon, chopped
2    large shallots, chopped fine
2    cloves garlic, minced
2    pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved through stem ends if too small to halve cut a "X" ¼" deep in the stem end.
1    cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ -1   teaspoons sugar (optional)
2    teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves   
4    teaspoons sherry vinegar 
3    tablespoons unsalted butter 
   Table salt and ground black pepper 
½    cup pecans, toasted and chopped
   Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Fry bacon in 12" skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Pour off excess grease but do not wipe skillet clean. Be careful not to burn the bacon.

2. Cook shallots in same skillet over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Toss Brussels sprouts with shallots and garlic, add broth, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, tossing once or twice, until paring knife can be inserted into sprouts without resistance, about 13 to 18 minutes.

4. Stir in thyme, vinegar (use Nakano rice vinegar for a sweeter taste), butter, reserved bacon, salt and pepper to taste, and sugar (if using). Remove from heat after butter has melted, and transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle pecans on top. Serve immediately.

Variation:   In step 4 eliminate the thyme, increase butter to 6 tablespoons, and add 3/4 cup of Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tiny Tim

Quote from: coyote on April 04, 2007, 10:10:04 PM
Hey Tim ,
       Not tryin' to be nosey or anything , but.....................what time's dinner ? ???

Coyote ;D

Soon as I can find a gal to make all that for me. ;) ;D

MWS

Thanks Hab,

I'm going to try a your glaze recipe. I may substitute some maple syrup for the maple powder sugar. I've never seen or heard of it. The brussell sprout recipe sounds excellent. I'm going to give that a go as well. I like the idea of the pecans. I've made a similar dish before using walnuts I believe. Again thanks for taking the time to post your recipe ideas. Cheers
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mws on April 05, 2007, 08:31:19 AM
Thanks Hab,

I'm going to try a your glaze recipe. I may substitute some maple syrup for the maple powder sugar. I've never seen or heard of it. The brussell sprout recipe sounds excellent. I'm going to give that a go as well. I like the idea of the pecans. I've made a similar dish before using walnuts I believe. Again thanks for taking the time to post your recipe ideas. Cheers

Though I'm a New Yorker I have to admit I get my maple powdered and granual sugar for this store. Also take a look around this site. They have some pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=178&KickerID=2037&KICKER

The brussell sprouts are good. I was surprise to see kids between 8-12 years old going for seconds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.