So I got a few ears of fresh sweet corn..

Started by squirtthecat, August 14, 2009, 05:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Ok, more than a few.

Gotta clear out the freezer to store some of this.   Any smokin' tips?   

FLBentRider

I've never frozen corn.

It does not last that long around here.

How does it do in the freezer?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

For smoking corn you should have left the husks on took out the silk and soak the corn in water for an hour. Then Smoke on 225* with 1 hour of smoke.

nepas

mikecorn.1

What does that do for the corn? Does it help it from drying out too much? Help it keep more smoke flavor? Thanks.  ???
Mike

NePaSmoKer

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 14, 2009, 05:40:03 AM
I've never frozen corn.

I freeze it shucked (this was already shucked when it was dropped off at my office).  Thaw in a bag full of water for 30 min or so.  Then I normally wrap in foil w/ a shot of garlic pam and some veggie seasoning.  Grill on top rack for another 30-45.   Turns out great.

There is only 2 of us, so this will last quite a while..  I just need to clean out the freezer to make room for it.

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 14, 2009, 05:41:16 AM
For smoking corn you should have left the husks on took out the silk and soak the corn in water for an hour. Then Smoke on 225* with 1 hour of smoke.

nepas

I'll do the hour soak and smoke - and see how it turns out.  It was already shucked when I got it.

If it doesn't do so hot, I'll go back to my pressure cooker for the rest of it.   That guarantees some moisture retention!

Thx all!

NePaSmoKer

If you have a vac sealer the corn freezes well.

nepas

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 14, 2009, 08:00:27 AM
If you have a vac sealer the corn freezes well.

nepas

That's on my "Must Have" short list...     I just put them in gallon freezer bags and squeeze as much out as possible - but I really do need one of those.   Might look for one at Sam's today.

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 14, 2009, 05:40:03 AM
I've never frozen corn.

When we freeze corn we put the shucked and rinsed corn in a bucket of cold water with 1 cup of salt for every gall of water and let sit for an hr, then blanch in the turkey fryer filled with fresh water for 3 min you only want to blanch a few at a time so with water stays at a light bubbly boil, then lay out on some towels to cool and dry, then into vac bags seal and freeze, they come out of the freezer just like you put them in, plump and juicy

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 14, 2009, 06:31:35 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 14, 2009, 05:41:16 AM

nepas

I'll do the hour soak and smoke - and see how it turns out.  It was already shucked when I got it.

If it doesn't do so hot, I'll go back to my pressure cooker for the rest of it.   That guarantees some moisture retention!

Thx all!

That may not work. When I smoke corn I leave the inner layer of the husk on and soak. By chance there are any exposed kernels the dry out to a consistency that may not be able to restore. If it is already husk, I forgot what member posted this. He boated each ear half way up with foil so half the corn was exposed used butter and seasoning on the top, and half way through the smoke he flipped each ear over exposing the other side. That worked well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Habs is right... It was BigJohnT that boated the corn. It looks great, here's the post....

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11048.msg120178#msg120178

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

squirtthecat

Cool!   I'll give it a try...   I VacuPaked it all last night and stuffed in the freezer.

Got 4 racks of MOINKs and Strutters (turkey bacon wrapped turkey meatballs) in now for a big party this afternoon.