Pork Butt on sale

Started by Smokeville, April 19, 2009, 03:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Quote from: Gullrock on April 21, 2009, 11:15:41 AM
Roadking!

Can you post your recipes? Especially the one for kielbasa?    :) :) :)

Thanks, Rich
If you don't have this book I would get it. It's my bible, wife and I will deviate from it for our own taste.

Smoked Kiebasa Sausage
Rytek Kutas's famous recipe

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing

Ingredients for 25 lbs.*
• 2/3 cups salt
• 2 1/2 Tb. sugar
• 3 Tb. fresh garlic
• 2 1/2 Tb. coarse black pepper
• 2 1/2 Tb. marjoram
• 5 cups ice water
• 25 lbs. boneless pork butts
• 5 cups soy protein concentrate or non-fat dry milk
• 5 tsp. Instacure No. 1

Ingredients for 10 lbs.*
• 5 Tb. salt
• 1 Tb. sugar
• 2 large cloves of fresh garlic
• 1 Tb. coarse black pepper
• 1 heaping tsp. marjoram
• 2 cups ice water
• 10 lbs. boneless pork butts
• 2 cups soy protein concentrate or non-fat dry milk
• 2 tsp. Instacure No. 1

Grind all of the pork butts through a 1/4" or 3/8" grinding plate and place meat in the mixing tub. Add all of the ingredients and mix well until spices are evenly distributed. Deliver to the stuffer and stuff into 38-42mm hog casings. Then place the sausage on the smokehouse sticks, spacing it properly.

Dry the sausage one of the following 2 ways:
1. When stuffing the sausage, it is normally hung on the sausage sticks in the room where you are working. By the time you are finished stuffing the sausage, much of it will already be dry. You may put it in a preheated smokehouse at 130° F with dampers wide open for about 1 hour or until casings are dry and starting to take on a brown color.
2. Place sausage in a cooler and leave until the casings are dry.

Smoking
To smoke the sausage, place it into a preheated smokehouse at 130° F with dampers wide open. Keep this temperature until the casings are dry. Gradually increase the temperature of the smokehouse to 160-165° F with dampers 1/4 open. Apply heavy smoke and keep in the smoker until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 152° F.

If you are using a steam cabinet, remove the sausage from the smoker when it has an internal temperature of 135° F and continue to cook it in the steam cabinet until the internal temperature has reached 152° F. Remove from the smokehouse and shower with cold tap water until the internal temperature is reduced to 110° F. Allow the sausage to hang at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until the desired bloom is obtained. Place in a cooler at 38-40° F overnight.

*Use the same recipe to make Fresh Polish Sausage, making the following adjustments:

Ingredient Alterations for 25lbs. of Fresh Polish Sausage:
• 5 lg. cloves garlic
• 2 Tb. marjoram
• Do not include soy protein concentrate or Instacure No. 1

Ingredient Alterations for 10 lbs. of Fresh Polish Sausage:
• Do not include soy protein concentrate or Instacure No. 1

Combine the ingredients as you would to prepare the smoked sausage. When spices are evenly distributed, stuff meat into 35-38 mm hog casings. Let the sausage age overnight in the refrigerator for better flavor. Use fresh as soon as possible. After 2 or 3 days, freeze the remainder of the sausage for future use. NOTE: Be sure that meat has been chilled between 32 and 34° F before starting. All blood clots, bones, cords, etc. must be removed and thrown out. Do not keep sausage at room temperature any longer than necessary.

Smokeville

Thanks, Roadking... that looks like a great recipe.

The link was broken, though, and the site google suggested had a number of books for sale. Which one is your bible?

Thanks, Rich

Tenpoint5

Rich,
The book he is talking about is Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. You can purchase it at most book stores or from The Sausage Maker at www.sausagemaker.com
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Roadking

Quote from: Gullrock on April 23, 2009, 06:41:02 AM
Thanks, Roadking... that looks like a great recipe.

The link was broken, though, and the site google suggested had a number of books for sale. Which one is your bible?

Thanks, Rich
link is fixed

Carter

Sounds like a good place.  Can't see myself crossing the 401 though for Pork Butt - although it is tempting.

Carter

Smokeville

Thanks, everyone.

The Butt will be smokin' on Saturday.

ExpatCanadian

Don't know what ANY of you are complaining about....  the best I can do locally for Pork Butt is £6.50/kg...  which after all the conversions etc. works out to $4.40USD/pound!  :(

Mr. Walleye...  my folks still farm in SK and one of the businesses they part own is an 800 sow farrow to finish hog operation....  so we're lucky enough to have access to good home grown and reasonably cheap pork!  Not sure of the actual price/pound but it's gotta be somewhat less than retail since we can avoid all that!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: tdcooper on May 01, 2009, 03:22:40 AM
Don't know what ANY of you are complaining about....  the best I can do locally for Pork Butt is £6.50/kg...  which after all the conversions etc. works out to $4.40USD/pound!  :(

Mr. Walleye...  my folks still farm in SK and one of the businesses they part own is an 800 sow farrow to finish hog operation....  so we're lucky enough to have access to good home grown and reasonably cheap pork!  Not sure of the actual price/pound but it's gotta be somewhat less than retail since we can avoid all that!

:o  :o  :o

Wow! Your going to have find a way to get Mom & Dad to ship ya a container of pork!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Roadking

Been just wandering around finding out why the price is so high in the UK. If you'd like to know go here. http://www.pigsareworthit.co.uk/trough.html 
The feed prices are really high there. There standards for producing pork are alot higher then in the states or anywhere else.
Anyway very interesting site.