Brisket & Turkey for 120..

Started by squirtthecat, February 26, 2010, 06:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Oh yes...   No arguing with your #s.   I want the leftovers!

Caneyscud

If its finger food, at a walk-by, many are going to take one of each - especially if they are close together, unless there are other rolls with meat to choose from, and how long it has been since last eating and how much other food is there and if you nearest to where most start the food line.  Also if they are going to stand around the meat area for a long time, there will be grazing going on.  If you are the only hander-outer of meat on a roll, then I think I'd go for one of each apiece.  Leftovers - freeze and enjoy later.  

With that and using 30% loss for the turkey breast and 40% loss on the brisket (depending on how much fat) and using .25 pounds (4 ounces is quite generous - think of a quarter pound beef patty plus shrinkage loss - a Krystal is around 2 ounces of meat) per roll.  Not sure what dollar rolls are, but I am assuming they are the size of cupcake or so.

Turkey
120 people  @  .25# cooked per person = 30 pounds  Add 30 percent for waste (1.3) = 39 lbs raw meat

Brisket  
120 people  @  .25# cooked per person = 30 pounds  Add 40 percent for waste (1.4) = 42 lbs raw meat

If I have the space and people, I will usually prep up 1/2 and wait to see how it goes and slice more meat and make more as needed.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

Thanks Caney.   It will be serve yourself buffet style. (self grazing)

I'm leaning towards 3 or 4 of the big turkey breast roasts, and 5 packer briskets.   We'll see when the RSVPs start rolling in if I need to adjust.

I'm going heavier on the brisket, as it is a bit of a rarity around here.   People think BBQ is pulled pork swimming in 1/2 gallon of sauce, or boiled spare ribs hit with some KC Masterpiece.

I'll probably be back for some Traeger Brisket tips.   I've done them in my OBS, but not on the pellet pusher..

Thanks everyone!