When your jerky ends up going to the dogs!

Started by iceman, April 29, 2013, 05:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

It's really not as bad as it sounds.  ;D
I did it on purpose.  ;)
We had some raw cold smoked rib eye steaks left over so we thought it would be a special treat for Mr. Winston and Miss Bea to get some real jerky treats.
Ground up the steaks along with roasted garlic, Parmesan and low sodium beef broth. Then into the stuffer set up with the ramp.

Shot out some puppy size strips  :o

Then into the dehydrator for a few hours.

Some German Shepard sized jerky treats!  :)

beefmann

Keymaster

Tenpoint5

Mr Winston and Miss Bea is living high on the hog these days!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wetzel1977

The things we do for our fury Friends !! Got to love it
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Kevin A

My pooch has been the beneficiary of some of my mistakes ( ;)), as well as leftovers from the sausage mill.

One note: dogs should not eat onions or garlic (this includes fresh, roasted, powdered or dried). Any close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs' red blood cells if ingested in sufficient quantities. Garlic tends to be more toxic than onions, on an ounce-for-ounce basis. It contains sulfoxides and disulfides that can damage red blood cells and cause anemia in dogs. While it's uncommon for dogs to eat enough raw onions and garlic, exposure to concentrated forms of onion or garlic, such as dehydrated onions, onion soup mix or garlic powder, may put dogs at risk of toxicosis. The damage to the red blood cells caused by onions and garlic generally doesn't become apparent until three to five days after a dog eats these vegetables. Their urine may be orange-tinged to dark red in color. A veterinarian should examine these dogs immediately.
My bro-in-law is a vet and he's seen far too many cases of dogs with anemia (some fatal) brought on by ingestion of onions & the like. Often its from table scraps and/or seasonings owners put into the pet's food.

Kevin

Keymaster

Quote from: Kevin A on April 30, 2013, 05:46:28 PM
My pooch has been the beneficiary of some of my mistakes ( ;)), as well as leftovers from the sausage mill.

One note: dogs should not eat onions or garlic (this includes fresh, roasted, powdered or dried). Any close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs' red blood cells if ingested in sufficient quantities. Garlic tends to be more toxic than onions, on an ounce-for-ounce basis. It contains sulfoxides and disulfides that can damage red blood cells and cause anemia in dogs. While it's uncommon for dogs to eat enough raw onions and garlic, exposure to concentrated forms of onion or garlic, such as dehydrated onions, onion soup mix or garlic powder, may put dogs at risk of toxicosis. The damage to the red blood cells caused by onions and garlic generally doesn't become apparent until three to five days after a dog eats these vegetables. Their urine may be orange-tinged to dark red in color. A veterinarian should examine these dogs immediately.
My bro-in-law is a vet and he's seen far too many cases of dogs with anemia (some fatal) brought on by ingestion of onions & the like. Often its from table scraps and/or seasonings owners put into the pet's food.

Kevin
Seriously, do you have the cat version of all that. Wife thinks our cat is human :)

Kevin A

Quote from: Keymaster on April 30, 2013, 06:04:12 PMSeriously, do you have the cat version of all that. Wife thinks our cat is human :)
Yes, as a mater of fact. Onions are VERY toxic to cats. They contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in the cat, also causing a form of anemia. Cats shouldn't have garlic, chocolate nor green tomatoes either. The risk of feeding pets table scraps is onion or onion flavoring is often used in broths for turkeys and other poultry. So be wary of giving kitty turkey from the table.

Kevin

iceman

Thanks for the info Kevin. I added probably less than a quarter teaspoon of the roasted garlic oil to the jerky. Vet said it was acceptable and showed me labels of dog food that had that in it. If it's bad for them I will certainly refrain from using it in the future.  ;)

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

I'm moving in with Ice's dogs! 8)  Great looking jerky.

OU812

Holy Crap!!

Your dogs eat good,,,,,,mine just get a fresh raw egg plopped right on top of there food ;D