New SS OBS with PID question

Started by LowTide, September 08, 2007, 08:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowTide

Hi All!

I have been reading the forums for the past month or so and finally got my smoker a week ago.  I went back and forth on the need for one, but you guys have talked me into it!  I need thank Bryan at Yard and Pool for a great deal.  I got the Stainless OBS, a cover, Maverick ET-73, Jerky racks, the Bradley Recipe Collection and that good old box of sample pucks.  The service was great and I couldn't be happier!

I have already done a couple smokes: a variation of the "Atomic Buffalo Turd", "Smoked Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast" and the "Honey Spiced Chicken Wings"  They all came out well, now I am ready to step up to a real cut of meat  ;)

I have read through many of the posts on the PID.  I have all the hardware on order and everything looks straight forward.  The only question I have is about the temperature probe on the thermocouple.  It seems that everyone just hangs this in the smoker vent, has anyone drilled a hole in the back and mounted it?  I saw one picture of the Dwyer temperature switch installed with this done, but no directions.  Is there any reason to not mount the probe?  Is there a benefit to hanging it in the vent?

Thanks all for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: LowTide on September 08, 2007, 08:09:32 AM
Is there any reason to not mount the probe?

No

Quote from: LowTide on September 08, 2007, 08:09:32 AM
Is there a benefit to hanging it in the vent?

Don't have to drill a hole  :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

3rensho

The probe on for my PID came fitted with two spade lugs so I mounted it hardwired to the PID and stick the probe thru the vent.  I was too lazy to add a plug to the probe and a socket to the hobby box to make it detachable. Maybe other makes of probes come with a plug.  I'm only familiar with the one I got from e-bay.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.