Thanksgiving Turkey

Started by Duster, November 04, 2007, 04:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duster

Just wondering, Has anybody ever tried the smoked thanksgiving turkey recipe on Bradley's site?

Smoked Thanksgiving Turkey
Ingredients
• 4 to 5 kg (8 to 10 lb) turkey (small turkeys work best)
• 65 ml (1/4 c) brown sugar
• 65 ml (1/4 c) non-iodized salt
• Cream sherry
• 5 ml (1 tsp) of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, sage, lemon zest and/or pepper to individual taste
Preparation
Mix together brown sugar, salt and rosemary and add cream sherry to make a thin paste. Brush paste in between meat and skin and on top of the skin. Season with other herbs to taste.
Smoking Method
Preheat the Bradley Smoker to approximately 100°C (220°F). Using Pecan flavor bisquettes smoke/cook turkey for 2 to 4 hours depending on how strong a smoke flavor you want. Baste the turkey using juices from inside the cavity and continue cooking the bird, basting every hour for another 2 to 4 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 75°C (165°F).
To Serve
Carve up turkey and serve as part of a traditional Thanksgiving feast with stuffing, gravy, cranberry chutney, potatoes, Brussels sprouts and yams. Bradley Smoked Acorn Squash would also work well with this menu. And do not forget the apple and pumpkin pies!

This seams to be a very simple recipe and I was wondering if the bird drys out or in general how well it is. I have a large family coming to dinner over thanksgiving (as usual) and wanted to try this unless anybody has any better ideas. Also it calls for 4 to 5 kg (8 to 10 lb) turkey (small turkeys work best) do you think I can get by with putting two into my OBS at the same time?

Wildcat

I have not tried it.  I have done boneless, skinless turkey breast in the BS though.  I coat with olive oil, salt and pepper, then smoke/cook until done.  Really nice results.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Will be doing the smoked and deep fried variety this year.  The method has been posted here before and it is on the card for some of the apple pucks. Sounds pretty interesting.  Last year was my first deep fryed turkey so need to add something different this year.  ;D

My son did his with the trash can method last year and his wifes family family asked for a repeat performance. Not sure if it was the turkey or the fun / novelty.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Scotty-G

Been deep frying turkey for the past several years.  Last year did a cold smoke and then a fry.  Got pretty good results.  This year am thinking about straight smoke.  Was thinking about soaking in a brine before slathering with marinade rub and smoking - planning on a mix of cherry and pecan wood.

Might try a trail run within the next 2 weeks, using turkey parts to see if it's worth attempthing for the big feast.

LilSmoker

I've done lot's of turkey in the BS, coz it always turns out great, and everybody that visits seems to love it!

I've done turkeys up to 12lb in weight, but the smaller ones are easier, much of the time i'll do the crown/breasts as they are even easier.

I keep the brine simple, as i brine more for moisture more than anything else.

I fill a container with the right ammount of water needed, keep adding salt until an egg will float in the solution, then i add required ammount of sugar, maybe some lemon juice, and if i'm feeling adventurous i'll add some white wine  ;D

You can add other herbs/spices garlic, salt, pepper, anything really, but i like to keep it simple.

I leave the turkey in the brine for at least 1 hour per lb, once the brinning is done, remove the turkey, pat it dry with some kitchen towel, and leave for around an hour to dry further and get up to room temp.
Into the the preheated BS and smoke at 200-220F until the IT is 175F.

Once turkey is done, let the meat rest before carving, or you can now put it in the oven at a higher heat, just long enough to crisp the skin.

I don't have a turkey fryer, but they sound very usefull

Anyway that's a simple method i use for turkey, very easy, and always pleases everybody  ;)

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I do basically the same as LilSmoker. If you brine the turkey or use a self-basting turkey such as Butterball you won't have to keep opening the cabinet and basting. My turkeys are always moist. The Skin is another issue, so I generally take them out of the smoker when the turkey get to about 150°F-155°F measured at the thigh; generously rub the skin with butter and place in a preheated 350°F oven at the lowest level. Continue to roast until the internal temperature is 165°F (I generally take it out at 160°F, and it will continue to rise in temperature while it is resting). Also I only use 2:40 to 3 hours of smoke, using apple or maple.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

msu-smoker

I smoked my first turkey yesterday and it was a hit.  I bought an 11 lb turkey that was enhanced (no fresh turkeys available in my area).  Since it was enhanced, I did not brine it.  I injected it with a cider beer, garlic oil and paprika mixture.  I also created a paste of salt, pepper, garlic, and garlic oil and rub it under the skin of the turkey.

Smoked it at 210 until it reached 165 in the breast, then let sit for about 45 min.  I am not a huge turkey fan, but everyone at the house seemed to really enjoy it and all agreed it is much better than the traditional roasted turkey.

sherlock

when the turkey get to about 150°F-155°F measured at the thigh;

Just where in the thigh do you place the probe?

Habanero Smoker

Place the probe in the thickest part of the inner thigh, and make sure the probe does not touch the bone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Duster

Thanks guys, sounds like all good advice

Duster

Just one more question guys, I know that cooking times very quit a bit do to ambient air temps, tower temps, wind, and how many beers I feel like drinking  ;) but can anyone tell me about an approx time? I bought 2 birds, both just under 10 lbs. I plan on brining them and will probably pull them out of the OBS at about 160 F and finish them under a broiler to crisp the skin. But how long will they take to finish and is it possible to FTC turkeys? This always works well for time management for butts but I have not tried it on poultry.

Can't wait !!!

West Coast Kansan

The FTC on turkey will cause the skin to go soft again. 

No idea really on the time but the moisture will slow it down some as well as the load - even to 150 - 155F. 

Others will have a better idea. Interested in hearing the answers to this one.

You may want to finish one in the oven or put both in the oven when smoke is finished.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I don't give times, it too difficult to estimate, because of all the variables and how long it takes each individual smoker to get up to the temperature you want to smoke/cook at. I've never done two 10 pound turkeys, I've only smoked one 10-12 pounder at a time. I have smoked 4 chickens weighing 4-5 pounds a piece, and will never do that again. It took way too long for the smoker to get up to my set cabinet temperature. But that is comparing apples to oranges, because 4 chickens will have more skin then two 10 pound turkeys.

So you don't get disappointed on the day you want to smoke; if you have a 4 shelf smoker you may want to make sure that you can fit two 10 pounders in the cabinet. I'm with WCK about not FTCing poultry. If timing is critical, then I would take them out after the smoke has been applied, and finish them off in an oven or grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

LilSmoker

Last time i did a whole turkey (9lb) it took around 6 hours if i remember rightly?

The turkey was the only thing smoking at the time, so if you do 2 together, the time will be significantly longer.

I also never FTC poultry, as the skin goes like an inner tube!  ;D
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Duster

QuoteSo you don't get disappointed on the day you want to smoke; if you have a 4 shelf smoker you may want to make sure that you can fit two 10 pounders in the cabinet.

Come on Hab don't scare me like that.

They Fit

Thanks Lilsmoker with that being said I think I'll allow about 10 to 11 hours