Themometer Placement

Started by eddieo, September 13, 2008, 03:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddieo

Hi Guys,

My new ET-73 came in... searched the forums for best location to place the cabinet probe but could not find anything specific to my question.  Should I use the clip thingy and hang under a rack or use it as a stand on top of a rack, and which rack level is best.  I have the 4 rack BDS.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Eddie

Gizmo

I clip mine on the rack next to the meat being careful to not allow it to touch the meat which would affect the temperature reading.  If more than one rack, I use the lowest filled rack position as it will see the highest heat in the cabinet.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I just dangle mine through the vent and fish it down near the lowest item I'm smoking.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 13, 2008, 05:21:43 PM
I just dangle mine through the vent and fish it down near the lowest item I'm smoking.

I'm with FL I just dangle mine!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: westexasmoker on September 13, 2008, 06:22:50 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on September 13, 2008, 05:21:43 PM

I'm with FL I just dangle mine!  ;D

C

Yep just dangle it. Was gonna make a smart alect comment about male anatomy but this is a family site.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

I use to dangle through the vent as well but found it easier to run the cable through the door seal.  Going through the door, the cables don't run through the racks making it impossible without great heat loss to rotate the racks (when doing multiple racks).

Habanero Smoker

I almost do the same as Gizmo. Clip it on the bottom rack that is in the lowest position. When there is more then one rack, I clip the probe on that rack as far away from the meat as possible. Due to evaporation, the temperature near the surface of the meat will be lower then the cabinet temperature, especially during the early stages.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I don't go through the racks either, and sometimes I mix it up and go through the door!

Sometimes I think with the PID probe, and both ET-73 wires, plus an additional one if I have multiple butts in - that I'm clogging the vent!

:D :D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

I do something like Giz and Habs.  I go through the door and attach to the side and under the bottom rack of meat.  (Clipped upside down - so to say)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Since I have a PID, I just hang it in there wherever it happens to fall, unless I have 2 pieces of meat in there, then it is jammed into the second piece, and used as a second meat probe.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Tiny Tim on September 15, 2008, 07:52:11 AM
Since I have a PID, I just hang it in there wherever it happens to fall, unless I have 2 pieces of meat in there, then it is jammed into the second piece, and used as a second meat probe.

Allrighty then, I ain't the only one to do that. Especially if I'm doing different types of meat that get done at different times. I finish in the Bradley not in the house. If I move it in the house then Momma knows I'm not doing anything and the 'Ol Honey Do List comes out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

Certainly don't want to break that up.  Better not fix what ain't broken.  ::) 8)