Question

Started by OldHickory, May 15, 2014, 02:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayes

Does anyone have any insight on how to get that tender texture found in commercial roast beef cold cuts?
My name is Kayes, and I love meat.

Grouperman941

Quote from: kayes on May 20, 2014, 09:15:51 AM
Does anyone have any insight on how to get that tender texture found in commercial roast beef cold cuts?

Not sure what you mean. The eye rounds I do are just about as tender as any of the commercial product I have bought. Sometimes moreso. I suspect using better cuts of meat (like the recipe in this thread) would make softer cold cuts. Maybe cure softens it up, but I'd think that alters the flavor.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

renoman

Cook it LONG and SLOW. The Bradley is a perfect tool for this as most ovens and BBQs don't go much lower than 225. Cook a five pound roast at 175 for 4 hours and 200 for 3 hours. You will be surprised how tender they will be. Use a good meat thermometer to make sure you are taking it out at no more than 135 IT. I got my Bradley specifically for making sausage and slow cooking beef roasts and it does this very well. I might add that I have a second element and PID to keep the temps almost exact.

Caneyscud

The chefs in the know will cook at a very low temp as already been said.  You can make a roast be juicy in the center by searing first and then cooking at a high temp 400-500 for a brief time them finishing at a lower temp.  But what you get is a graded product from overcooked on the outside to almost rare in the center.  To get the entire meat to be medium rare - cook at a low temp and reverse sear if you must. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"