Placement of an installed PID sensor

Started by Montcoyote, January 16, 2010, 08:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montcoyote

Hello all...newbie here (lots of new Christmas Smokers out there!).

I have a new OBS. After a few smokes in cold temperatures, I have ordered the materials to do the second element install. I also ordered an Auber controller with the temperature sensor that you permanently install.

I ran a few searches, but could not locate a post with installation instructions for the Auber probe. Also, I'm not sure of the best location for the probe.

Thanks in advance!

classicrockgriller

I think it just a holder that gets screwed in the cabinet.

Placement I would say no higher that the second rack.

Mine is mobile.

JF7FSU

Auber provides detailed instructions for mounting the probe on their site.  It involved one drill hole through the back of the unit from the inside out.  They recommend mounting it just below the top rack in the middle.  You drill a small hole, push the probe through and screw the cap on the back and it is all done.  Took me 10 minutes including set up and packing up. 
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

classicrockgriller

You want your probe just below the meat of your lowest rack cooking.

IMO I would put it below the second rack from the bottom.

love the smoke

LTS

Montcoyote

Thank you all!

I didn't think to look on Auber's site. I should have it installed by lunch, if I can keep the kids from running into the street.

anderson5420

Obviously whoever wrote the Auber sensor installation instructions is better with electronic instruments than with the English language...
So many recipes, so little time!

pensrock

For some odd reason Auber say just below the top rack, I do not understand that. I put mine about the middle of the tower.

drano

I've got the permanent installed one also. 
I put it between the middle 2 racks.  Wish I would have mounted it higher (real close to the bottom of the rack above it) because if I set a big butt/brisket on the rack where the probe is, the meat will hit the probe. 
Solution is simple though, drill another hole to move it , and plug the old hole with a bolt.
Some day I might move the probe between the bottom 2 racks, keeping it under the lowest meat as others suggest. 

get smokin
drano