Venison Summer Sausage

Started by Bugnut, March 29, 2009, 01:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugnut

Just completed 45 pounds of summer sausage. Used the Hi Mountian kit, turned out great as always! I'm new to posting on here and wanted to attach pictures but I can't seem to figure that out yet. If any of you can help out with getting them on I would like to share. I've been a viewer of this site since I got my Bradley 4 years ago. Thanks to all for the help over the years!!!!!!! 

Mr Walleye

Hi Bugnut and welcome to the forum.

Here's a link to a good write up on posting pictures here...

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bugnut

I think I have the photo posting figured out, thank you! The 1st photo is of the smoker which is a converted fridge that I use for large amounts of sausage. I use the Bradley smoke generator and the PID the photo of smoker is from last weekend, the 2nd is of the sausage from this weekend.

Mr Walleye

Looks excellent Bugnut!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokeitall

Looks great. I am down to my last three 1-1/2 lb sticks, looks like I will have to start a batch soon.

lumpy

You gonna eat all that yourself? ;D

Nice looking!

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Gotta love them old fridge's for smokin.

Looks great

nepas

josbocc

Bugnut,

Those look Great!!!  Do you use any type of additive to keep the sausage from shrinking?  I did my first batch of summer sausage a couple of weeks ago, and after they cooled, the casing started to wrinkle.  Not a big deal, but for aesthetic purposes I'd like to keep the casings tight to the meat.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Bugnut!

And those look great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Bugnut

josbocc,
No I don't use any extra additives. I have been using the Hi Mountian kits for all of the summer sausage I make. However I don't use the casing they provide or their cooking directions. the casings they provide are not plyable enough for my use and they always wrinkle bad. Over cooking will make the sausage shrink, I've learned to remove it when it hits 146-147 then straight to a cold water bath. If you have your thermometer in when you put it in the cold water you will see it go up 8-10 degrees. I've been making about 300-400 lbs a year (big family of deer hunters) and all has turn out great sooo far!!! If anybody has a good recipe I'd like to give it a try.

Tom

seemore

MRH

Tom,

Those look real good!!  I haven't used the High Mountain kit for summer sausage. Love the jerky kits,  I used a LEM Backwoods salami kit which is real good though.

Mark

West Coast Sausage Maker

Those look very professional. Nice work!
soylent green is people

Caneyscud

Bugnut,

Welcome to the forum, and I must say those summer sausages are "da bomm"!  For your first post, you hit a home run.  As WCSM said - very professional.  Gotta luv them fridge smokers.  Brings back memories of our cabin on the gulf coast.  Would smoke some really fresh fish. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"