What Is A Billion?

The next time you hear a politician use the word "billion" in a casual
manner, think about whether you want the "politicians" spending your tax
money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising
agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one
of its releases

a. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
b. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
c. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age
d. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
e. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government spends it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's look at New Orleans. It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D)! , is pre sently asking the Congress
for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans .

Interesting number, what does this mean?

a. If you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

b. If you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets
$1,329,787.

c. If you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, DC, HELLO! Are all your calculators broken?

The following is too true to be funny

Tax his land,
Tax his wage,
Tax his bed in which he lays.
Tax his tractor, Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes is the rule.
Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.
Tax his ties,
Tax his shirts,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.
Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he tries to think.
Tax his booze,
Tax his beers,
If he cries,
Tax his tears.
Tax ! his bills,
Tax his gas,
Tax his notes,
Tax his cash.
Tax him good and let him know
That after taxes, he has no dough.
If he hollers,
Tax him more,
Tax him until he's good and sore.
Tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in which he lays.
Put these words upon his tomb,
"Taxes drove me to my doom!"
And when he's gone,
We won't relax,
We'll still be after the inheritance TAX!!

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax),
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax),
Liquor Tax,
Luxury Tax,
Marriage License Tax,
Medicare Tax,
Property Tax,
Real Estate Tax,
Service charge taxes,
Social Security Tax,
Road Usage Tax (Truckers),
Sales Taxes,
Recreational Vehicle Tax,
School Tax,
State Income Tax, State Unemployment Tax (SUTA),
Telephone Federal Excise Tax,
Telephone Federal Universal Servic! e Fee Ta x,
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax,
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax,
Telephone Recurring and Non-rec! urring Charges Tax,
Telephone State and Local Tax,
Telephone Usage Charge Tax,
Utility Tax,
Vehicle License Registration Tax,
Vehicle Sales Tax,
Watercraft Registration Tax,
Well Permit Tax,
Workers Compensation Tax.

Comment:

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and there was prosperity,
absolutely no national debt, the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What the hell happened?

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

icerat4

I dont know  :'(.  The bad thing is .Its not going to get any better.Not in our life time.TO BAD SO SAD. :'(

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Wildcat

This hits the nail on the head. 

To top it all off, what has the government done for it's citizens that would warrant so much money??? 

One thing they have done for us is make (or changed) so many laws that nobody knows which way is up and practically re-wrote our constitution with amendments.  We practically have to get a permit to use our BS because our neighbors rights may be violated if the smoke or aroma passes over their land.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TomG

Quote from: Oldman on October 14, 2006, 07:02:28 AM
What the hell happened?

Hmmm, that's a tough one???? ??? ???  Let's see, could it possibly be, that the Republican's took over Congress and a questionable majority of morally and fiscally conservative voters decided to put their "Faith" and their wallets in the hands of a dyslectic, intellectually challaged, National Guard drop out???

Probably not, but don't you think it's time for a change?  Ooops, can I say that on this forum????

coyote

What the hell happened ?  Well first lets realize this. If you are a crook or an  idiot
it really won't matter ..republican or democrat....Both party's are well supplied
with both.........But what the hell happened???????
     In the fifties most families had 1 home.....1 car.....0 campers...0 big boats
0 vacation homes.....0 backyard in-ground pools...0 four-wheelers for every family
member And just one phone in the house...not 5 cell phones too...0 $200 tv-cable
bills...0 computers + internet fee's...And only 1 bread winner.......................

What the hell happened ?....Our WANTERS got stuck.  I WANT I WANT I WANT

GOT WANTS ? How about the gotta-haves ?..............Coyote

3rensho

This discussion reminds me of a quote, I believe from the late William Proxmire.  "A billion here, a billion there.  Pretty soon you're talking real money".  And that was in the day when a billion really was something, not the chump change it seems to be today.  Bring back the Golden Fleece awards.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

TomG

Quote from: coyote on October 14, 2006, 09:35:55 PM
What the hell happened ?....Our WANTERS got stuck.  I WANT I WANT I WANT
     GOT WANTS ? How about the gotta-haves ?..............Coyote

AMEN, Coyote, AMEN :) :)

projump

How important are the upcoming elections? Extremely important! Below is a list of what we can expect if the liberals win. These elections are crucial. It is vitally important that you vote. Please vote and encourage others to do the same. As bad as things are, they will be infinitely worse if the liberals win.

The strategy of the liberals is to get Values Voters so disgusted and discouraged that they will not vote. If that happens, the liberals will have achieved their goal and they will be running our country.

Even though the republicans are far from perfect, they are light years better than the far left wacko's that are running the democratic party

Here is what we can expect if the liberals win:

1. Amnesty for 12,000,000 illegal immigrants.

2. A push to make homosexual marriage and polygamy legal in all 50 states.

3. Only liberal judges will be appointed. They will create laws to implement the social agenda liberals cannot get passed through the legislative process.

4. Liberals will make the killing of the unborn more difficult to stop.

5. Liberals will continue to try to rid our society of Christian influence, including any reference to God in our Pledge and on our currency.

6. A return to the "Fairness Doctrine" in broadcasting where opposing views must be given equal time. Every conservative talk show host will be forced to give a liberal equal time on every issue. The purpose of this rule will be to shut down conservative talk shows.

7. An increase in taxes to push new social programs.

8. Passing a new "hate crimes" law making it illegal to refer to homosexuality in a negative manner.

9. Liberals will give terrorists from other countries who try to kill Americans the same rights American citizens enjoy under our constitution.

10. We will withdraw from Iraq, sending the message to the terrorists that if they will just be patient they can win and bring their terrorist acts to the U.S.
When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

TomG

Quote from: projump on October 15, 2006, 11:42:36 AM
How important are the upcoming elections? Extremely important.

Yeppers!  At least that sounds rational ;)

There's still time to change course before Gingrich's "Contract on America" becomes a reality >:(

icerat4

Sounds like a win win .Lose situation. ;D.Why cant we all just get along .Never mind i forgot which planet i was on.Next beer please ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: icerat4 on October 16, 2006, 09:14:20 AM
Sounds like a win win .Lose situation. ;D.Why cant we all just get along .Never mind i forgot which planet i was on.Next beer please ;D
I have tried to make it a point not to respond to any of the polictical topics. Since I've made that decision, I can just sit back and humor myself by reading the responses.

Oh! The point of my post. Icerat4, you nailed it with that statement. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

iTs the beer part right habs.LOL LOL ;D.

Oldman

projump

I'm a "R" but for the most part I voted "D" last time.  I'm not going to get into this much, here, other than to say that anyone who votes a party line for the sake of the party is just another court's jester of a  self-licking-ice-cream-cone... no matter what side of the coin you are on, R or D.

Now if you want to really discuss these issues then jump over to HERE and go to the Political forum. I will be glad to chit chat with ya over there about your comments made here!

If you do come then be factual and have items to back you up or you  will find someone eating your lunch.
Thanks!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: icerat4 on October 16, 2006, 11:16:57 AM
iTs the beer part right habs.LOL LOL ;D.

It is the beer part, but also your temporary amnesia of what planet you were on. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

Quote from: TomG on October 14, 2006, 07:07:12 PM
Quote from: Oldman on October 14, 2006, 07:02:28 AM
What the hell happened?

Hmmm, that's a tough one???? ??? ???  Let's see, could it possibly be, that the Republican's took over Congress and a questionable majority of morally and fiscally conservative voters decided to put their "Faith" and their wallets in the hands of a dyslectic, intellectually challaged, National Guard drop out???

Probably not, but don't you think it's time for a change?  Ooops, can I say that on this forum????
C'mon Tom, that's a real stretch. I see Olds' original post as a comment on politics in general and not a finger-pointing excercise. I think we can pretty much all agree that it's the system that needs fixed, regardless of who you happen to think caused it.

If I'm not mistaken, since 1906, there have been plenty of Dem presidents and congresses, same with the Reps. Now, if you could show where an amazing percentage of the additional taxes Olds listed were enacted by the Reps, you would have a valid point. I don't know the answer to that but think you would be wasting your time researching it. ;)

I'm goin' with Rat, time for another beer.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?