First time for GB Jerky... Everything sound OK here?

Started by Mani, October 05, 2011, 04:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mani

Morning all,

Here is my plan of attack tomorrow.  As this is my first time, any pointers would be welcome.

OK,  I am going to trim some Brisket of any visible fat, grind twice on a course, then fine dye (I have a kitchenaid attachment for grinding).

In the meantime, make a conventional(ish) Teriyaki sauce;  Soy, Mirin, Sake,  Palm sugar (As I prefer the flavour to granulated or brown sugar) add a bit of Garlic and onion powder, maybe some white pepper and Cure #1.

Mix in the sauce with the ground beef in the mixer at A ratio of one cup of sauce per kilo of Ground Beef (A while since I've done imperial, but approx 1/2 cup per 1.1lb)

Leave overnight, pop in the Jerky gun, smoke in the bradley for one hour of apple (Without the heating element on) then pop in the Dehydrator.

If the esteemed experts suggest any ammendments, all suggestions are welcome.

classicrockgriller

Assuming you use the right ratio of cure and you like the mixture of spices you are using

then all sounds good to me, but I'm not a jerky expert.

Leaving the mixture over night to sit in the fridge will make it stiff and hard to shoot out

of a jerky gun so you may have to add back a little water to loosen the meat mixture up.

Good Luck and take pictures.

KyNola

CRG is dead on about the mix stiffening up.  If you're putting it in the frig so the Cure can begin to work, there is no need.  Cure starts to work immediately even if you shoot the jerky immediately.  Also, there is no reason not to have the tower element running.  I would have heat in the tower running at around 140F.  It is going to at least help a little in beginning the drying process.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Mani

Classicrockgriller

For the 1kg of meat I was going to use about 1/3 teaspoon of cure #1, a couple of cloves of garlic rather than powder, some fresh Ginger and had a teaspoon of onion powder...

Does that ratio of cure sound about right?

Mani

Kynola,

Was putting it in the fridge overnight, do you think I can start putting the mix into the gun straight after mixing?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mani on October 05, 2011, 12:32:39 PM
Classicrockgriller

For the 1kg of meat I was going to use about 1/3 teaspoon of cure #1, a couple of cloves of garlic rather than powder, some fresh Ginger and had a teaspoon of onion powder...

Does that ratio of cure sound about right?

I'm not familiar with metric, (too old to learn ;D )

but I use level teaspoon for 5 lbs or a not quite level 1/4 tsp for 1 lb.

Mani

Ah! Fortunately I was schooled a long time ago and had to use both!

1kg is 2.2 lb.

So about half a level teaspoon?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mani on October 05, 2011, 12:46:19 PM
Ah! Fortunately I was schooled a long time ago and had to use both!

1kg is 2.2 lb.

So about half a level teaspoon?

That won't hurt anything.

KyNola

Quote from: Mani on October 05, 2011, 12:34:14 PM
Kynola,
Was putting it in the fridge overnight, do you think I can start putting the mix into the gun straight after mixing?
Yep, no problem.

Mani

Many thanks both of you,

Will let you know how it goes (once it stops raining so I can start smoking!)