Started by oakville smoker, March 28, 2010, 04:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I picked up a point yesterday when I was in meat nirvana shopping
Its cryovac'd from the packer
I got to thinking I should wet age this since its all sealed up
I am thinking 30 days????
What say you ?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Rich_91360

Pachanga

Oakville,

Most of the information on the internet is from anecdotal evidence only and by definition not backed by science.  Here is an article which seems to have significant, pertinent scientific content.

http://www.goodcooking.com/steak/aging/aging.htm

Here are some thoughts from Olds.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=138#post138

My anecdotal experience covers several hundred briskets.  I have gone 30 days many times.  I have a dedicated refrigerator that stays at 34 degrees.  Most articles frown on a refrigerator that is opened often.  Temperature can affect the aging process; either retarding or accelerating.    It would be hard to trust any numbers that do not include a consistent, constant holding temperature.  

I have read to go by the kill or packed date.  Sources I have read that seem reliable go up to 60 days after the kill date.  The briskets I buy have only a sell by date.  I have not had any off smells or odd taste going 30 days after the sell date.  Obviously, the packing needs to be bubble free and intact during and at the end of the process.

Disclaimer:  There are a lot of variables in this procedure, some of which happened at the packing plant and in shipping, storage, etc. so it is your responsibility to confirm your final product condition before serving.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

oakville smoker

Thanks all

Here is the plan
I am going to wet age this baby for another 2 weeks or so
The Masters is coming up and that always means a party at my place  ( well any major championship means a party ) but the Masters deserves a briskett

I bought this piece directly from a meat packer / slaughter house
Its in the back of the fridge. i have a colder fridge that is holding a turkey for Easter that will go into a brine Thursday night.  Then the briskett will take the turkeys place.  My main fridge is a scary place right now.  20 pounds of bellies curing, a 12 pound briiskett aging, a pile of snack stix and oh yeah....
some normal food that we eat every day   LOL  This will all change by the end of the week when curing and brining and whatever are done and the smoker starts to work over time
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?