bubbagumps custom PID

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, January 31, 2006, 12:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefBill

Thanx guys, Sounds like it'll for everything from the freezer to the fireplace...  CB

<font color="red"><b>nodak, Gary_CO</b>,  I ordered mine the 8th and it came today.</font id="red">  [:D]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

nodak

ChefBill, you had to tell us you already received your's didn't you.  Make me jealous, I also ordered my the 8th.  But mail is on The Pony Express up here. I just hope the horse doesn't die or they get attacked by bad guys or natives, than I may never receive it.  Mail has been terrible and getting lost, had one letter take 18+ days to go 25 miles, and 6+ days to get a postmark.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

ChefBill

nodak.
I'm probably a lot closer to Sarasota,FL than you are too, only about 350-400 miles.
The more they charge for mail the slower it gets. I think they need to trade in the pony express for the rabbit express.[:)]

ChefBill

gary_CO

When I ordered my stuff, I inadvertently had the Paypal account to EFT instead of using the debit card. So, I slowed my order down... Grrr, I hate Paypal these days.

Not a big deal though, as I also ordered a probe like Bubbagump's and it'll take a while to get that.

Only question I have remaining, I think, is which post on Omega's plug will be the positive one. You still there BG? [8D]

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gary_CO</i>
<br />Only question I have remaining, I think, is which post on Omega's plug will be the positive one. You still there BG? [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

When I ordered my TC I ordered one long enough so that I could use a small portion of the cable (8" or 9") to wire the PID to the receptacle jack. Do not regular wire to make this connection. I should have ordered it without the plug attached because I just had to take it off anyway to cut the wire. Minor detail. You'll find that the small post is the positive post. Yellow to + and red to -.

Did you also order the mini panel jack to go with it?

Bubbagump

gary_CO

Yep, ordered the same round-faced jack. I should have extra length to use as you say. How come it needs to be the same wire? I'm guessing different wire would have different resistance and screw up its accuracy, or sumpin...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">I'm probably a lot closer to Sarasota,FL than you are too, only about 350-400 miles.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Nope I'm closer. 45 Minute drive time.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ChefBill

Raye, You don't play fair. [;)]

ChefBill

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gary_CO</i>
<br />Yep, ordered the same round-faced jack. I should have extra length to use as you say. How come it needs to be the same wire? I'm guessing different wire would have different resistance and screw up its accuracy, or sumpin...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Gary,

Check out this site and scroll down toward the bottom. It will explain it more clearly.

http://www.pmcwire.com/ThermocoupleWire.htm

Bubbagump

gary_CO

Yet once again, thanks much Bubbagump. I wouldn't have been successful at this without your help. Now, I'm confident I will be.

The next thing I'll contemplate is trying to find a way to semi-permanently mount the probe. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to come in through the back somewhere and maybe try to mount the probe using something like screw-in cable clips (that could withstand the heat and the corrosive  smoke), maybe below one of the rack slides second from the top. Figure this might give best average temp. But that project will take more thought. I imagine it'll be one of those "think about, but never do..." projects.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

nodak

Can anyone tell me if the thermocouplers from the TS switches will work with PID.  Looking at costs seems like I can buy a 10ft for $7.50 that sounds a lot more economical than the $36.00+ from Omega.  But I don't want to be sorry either for going the cheap route.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/temperature/SeriesTS2Price.cfm

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nodak</i>
<br />Can anyone tell me if the thermocouplers from the TS switches will work with PID.  Looking at costs seems like I can buy a 10ft for $7.50 that sounds a lot more economical than the $36.00+ from Omega.  But I don't want to be sorry either for going the cheap route.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nodak - The probe on the TS is not a thermocouple it is a thermistor and I do not believe the PID's accept a thermistor input.

I just finished putting together a PID setup for a friend using the Auberin PID, SSR, and type K Termocouple. The thermocouple was $5.00 and pretty low end. It was no where near as accurate as the one I purchased from Omega. I did pay quite a bit more for it but it was definitely worth it.

Aside from the accuracy, the wiring for the thermocouple is very small gauge solid wire, which will not hold up to a lot of flexing and will eventually break. The Omega is stranded wire.

The plus side is that it was only 5 bucks. But as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Just remember, your PID, or any controller for that matter, is only as good as its input.

Bubbagump

TomG

Here's where I get my thermocouples. http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermocouple-2-J-3-16-x6-w-6ft-lead-cf_W0QQitemZ7589738335QQcategoryZ50926QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you don't want to deal wtih eBay contact Bill directly [email protected]

I've purchased at least 10 TCs with armored leads from Bill with an average cost of about $7.00 ea.

nodak

Tomg is there any reason in particular you chose the J type instead of the K type thermocoupler that everyone else seems to be using?

Thanks,
Mike

nodak

Just received My PID today. Couldn't keep my hands off of it and I quickly started looking at it and noticed they call for a fuse, is this necessary???   Sure I will have lots of other questions as I get time to work on it.

Thanks,
MIke