Jerky Cure Question

Started by grousehog, August 27, 2011, 08:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grousehog

I have been making GB jerky with the LEM mix and have had great success.  My wife wants to try some but the ingredients in the cure are prone to trigger migraines.  How safe, if it all, would it be if I didn't put any cure in the GB if we made sure the product was gone in a reasonable time?  What would a reasonable time be?
Thanks,
Ed

Mr Walleye

Hi GrouseHog

Years ago I made lots of whole muscle jerky without a cure in a dehydrator and never had any problems at all. Having said that I never tried it with Ground meats back then. Certainly ground meats are more prone to develop the nasties for sure. Hopefully Habs will chime in on this one because he's a very knowledgeable guy on the use of cures.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Hi grousehog;

Mike is correct.

When I make whole muscle meat I have never used a cure, unless I wanted to alter the flavor. GB jerky is different, because bacteria that was on the surface of the meat is now ground throughout the product. So if you are drying at low heat you want to add the proper amount of cure for protection. Having said that I have seen a few GB jerky recipes that used higher temperatures at 180°F. If you can find one of those recipes, and if using that recipe will bring the IT of the jerky up fast to 160°F then it may be safe. But since I am not a GB jerky fan I would have to defer to someone that makes GB jerky, and at this time state that the safe way is to us a cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

grousehog