smoked sausage?

Started by dAWGS, November 13, 2013, 06:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dAWGS

Has anyone ever bought store nought Italian sausage and smoked it?  How is it?    Any I do on the process ?   What smoke?   How long?  Etc

Habanero Smoker

I only smoke fresh sausage if I'm preparing to eat it at that time. I will apply smoke using a temperature cabinet of 225°F, and often will move it to the grill to get some char marks. Smoking first then moving to the grill, you get a lot more smoke flavor, then just using a smoke box and grilling at a high temperature.

The 225°F is what is recommended by the USDA for fresh ground meat that is smoked. With that said, Marianski states that any temperature over 180°F is safe; which I don't feel comfortable with. Use what is comfortable for you, or any temperature in-between.

I forgot to answer your other questions. Smoked fresh sausage generally turns out better, then just grilling or pan frying. I apply 40 minutes to 1 hour of smoke, any flavor will work, but if it is hot Italian or any spicy sausage, I use hickory. Cook until the internal temperature is 160°F. Some times I will apply a light coat of canola oil on the sausage then place them in the smoker, the sausage seems to pick up more smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)