Smoked Mussels

Started by cheapguy69, April 24, 2007, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheapguy69

I used to get this tasty treat from my local seafood shop and still see them from time to time. It's only recently that I realized I should do it myself now. Has anyone tried this before? I search in this forum and didnt see anything listed. I am gussing just a low heat and rolling smoke until tasty.

Gizmo

Check out this link.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5122.msg47176#msg47176

Alternative would be to max temp the bradley and let it get up to temp.  Toss the muscles in (pre washed) and hot smoke for 20 minutes or until the shells open.  Don't know how much smoke would get in before the shells were open and the muscles were done.  Usually they are only steamed until they open.  More than that they get more chewy.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteToss the muscles in (pre washed) and hot smoke for 20 minutes or until the shells open.  Don't know how much smoke would get in before the shells were open and the muscles were done.  Usually they are only steamed until they open

I had some commercial smoked mussels recently and they were great, I am looking at recreating some in the Bradley and was working along the lines that Gizmo mentioned above.

We have a river coming into the sea near us and there are a lot of mussels grow there during the summer months on a water outlet pipe. Plan to "harvest" some, scrub the shells then leave them for a couple of days in several changes of sea water to get rid of the grit (it is a sandy beach) than have a go in the BS.

The main issue is how to get a suitable steam content in the cabinet as they may well dry out too much otherwise, maybe a big bowl of boiling water in the base would suffice with the vent well open? I would imaging that if the BS was at a highish temp as Gizmo suggests they would only need 20mins or so heat but would that be enough smoke?

The other idea is to steam them until open in the normal way, discard those that haven't opened then immediately cold smoke for perhaps 40 - 60 mins in the BS with a mild puck flavour... e.g. apple

Thoughts anyone?  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Never tried making smoke muscles, but I'm very interested in learning how. Can wait until one of you figure this out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Malc

Aren't all the meats we smoke, in fact, smoked muscles? ;D ;D ;)  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Gotta love that English language.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

manxman

Manxman

Gizmo

Quote from: manxman on April 25, 2007, 01:25:15 AM

The other idea is to steam them until open in the normal way, discard those that haven't opened then immediately cold smoke for perhaps 40 - 60 mins in the BS with a mild puck flavour... e.g. apple

Thoughts anyone?  :)

I had mentioned the steam open in another thread as well.

Another possibility is to pry open the live muscles, pry out from shell, replace back into shell, top with some salt and brown sugar, then hot smoke for 20 minutes.  Hopefully they will be juicy enough to cook in their juices as they absorb the smoke.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/