Bresola, Lomo and Lonzio....Drybag

Started by carnie1, March 26, 2013, 07:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnie1

Did Bresola, Lomo and Lonzio with the drybag system, I used the recipes on the drybag site, I may have left in just a tad too long, 51 days, they didn't turn out too bad, Casper approved

jjmoney

How is the bresaola? I have been getting very curious about it and am thinking of trying it.

Keymaster

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

That looks great Carnie.  You guys are going to keep on until I have to try my hand at this too.

Very nicely done.

Caneyscud

Man, that stuff looks good enough to eat.  I've got to try out those dry bags.  I guess I can't use the ones .....  naw I won't say that!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on March 27, 2013, 07:22:18 AM
That looks great Carnie.  You guys are going to keep on until I have to try my hand at this too.

Very nicely done.

I was thinking the same thing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Redneckinthecity

Planning on starting a bresaola this weekend and finishing in a drybag.  Wondering if anyone can help with 2 questions -

1. Some recipes call for using a casing; others don't.  If I'm using a drybag, does it matter?
2.  Similarly, if using the drybag, do I need to tie it?  I don't see any string marks on Carnie's, so I'm wondering if that's really necessary.

Thanks!

carnie1

Redneckinthecity

I started a bresaola on April 20.  Cured for about 9 days using a blend of the recipes from Umai and Charcuterieand moved to a Umai drybag on April 29.

All has been good so far - had about 20% moisture loss as of this weekend.  Was shooting for a check on May 23 with a 32.5% weight loss target.  However, on Sunday when I looked in on it, the drybag looks as though it's lost its vacuum and isn't in good contact with the meat any longer.  More concerning to me is that the meat is getting very hard - which I assume is some combination of the desiccation that we're aiming for and case hardening.

Should I be concerned?  As long as I continue having water loss is everything ok? 

Thanks!

wkahler

Where did you get the recipes for this?  I looked on a web page for drybagsteak.com etc. 
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Redneckinthecity

I ordered here.  http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-umai-charcuterie.php

The drybag charcuterie "kit" comes with bags, cure and a little brochure with recipes.  My bresaola just finished drying last week (the only thing I've made so far) and I combined the recipes from drybag and from the book Charcuterie.

wkahler

The smoking lamp is lit!!!