Rckcrwlr's "Say Cheese" Sunday

Started by Rckcrwlr, November 14, 2010, 03:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

Yesterday my wife and I went to Volant, PA.  It is an Amish down that we meet a other families every year for Christmas on Main St.

Well before we get there, we stop in the Cheese House in New Wilmington, PA.  They have all types of Cheese and condiments.

Before I get on with the "Say Cheese" I picked up a jar of Sweet Hot "Habenaro" Pickles.  Can't wait to have those.

So I was perusing the cheese counter when two caught my attention.  The first was a Horseradish Cheese.  I tasted it and it was fantastic...The other was a Bermuda Onion Cheddar that had a great favor of sweet onion.

Next was one of the best Pepper Jack Cheese you can get your hands on.  For those that don't know the difference, Hot Pepper Cheese is used with White American Cheese, this is made with Monterrey Jack Cheese, much Creamier

So I cut it into half moons so that I have enough to "forget about" for a while.

Loaded up 2 hours of Pecan and started it up.

Two hours later and max'ing out at about 100 degrees, they were done.  Looks like the Pepper Jack can't go that high.   :-[

They are now vacuum sealed and put in "storage".

Quarlow

Very nice. I love smoked cheese. I guess I should dig out the cold smoker again. Mmmm
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Rckcrwlr

Coming into the holidays, I figured I should do it now...

classicrockgriller

Those are some very interesting looking cheese.

Looks mighty good.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 14, 2010, 04:54:10 PM
Those are some very interesting looking cheese.

Looks mighty good.

Really looking forward to the Bermuda Onion and the Horseradish Cheeses.

RAF128

I did some cheeses 2 weeks ago, a white cheddar and a cheddar with horse radish.  My wife opened a couple yesterday.   The white cheddar had nice color and tasted great.   The horse radish didn't get the same color but was good.    The smoking took some of the bite out of the horse radish, IMO.   My son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren came over for the foot ball game.  They cleaned up the cheeses, sausages, shrimp and chips.    Good thing I tested it before it hit the table.

Rckcrwlr

We had some of the Gouda and Cheddar last night for the game.

Wife picked up some new Town House Sea Salt and Olive Oil Flatbread Crisps...they are fantastic with smoked cheese.

Toker

Looks very good man. Did you smoke it with the cold smoke adaptor just to know? I just did 20 lbs and my temp never went over 80F

pensrock

Smoked horseradish cheese is soooo good. I buy it in the five pound block and cut it into one pound chunks.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Toker on November 15, 2010, 06:01:11 AM
Looks very good man. Did you smoke it with the cold smoke adaptor just to know? I just did 20 lbs and my temp never went over 80F

I just ran smoke...I usually watch it closer and pull the door if it starts creeping over 100.  I got tied up with something and didn't watch it...

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Rckcrwlr

I picked up the Frog Mats so I shouldn't have an issue with oozing through the rack.

Jim O

I use frog mats for all my cheese smokes. Works well.

I do lost of cheese but I thin my fav is Halipino Jack with apple smoke.

Haven't tried Gouda yet,but I hear it's great.

Jim O

- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

watchdog56

Seems pretty high temp at 100. I thought cheese was supposed to stay under 90 or it would melt?

Rckcrwlr

I am learning it depends on the cheese...harder cheeses like prov, cheddar can handle it.  Mozz, Gouda, Pepper Jack, etc need to stay under the 90 degree mark.