First shot at pulled pork

Started by OzSmoker, September 03, 2011, 12:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzSmoker

Well I have always been the biggest fan of pulled pork sandwiches after my trips to North America and well you just can't buy pulled pork at all down here in Australia - so I was always going to have to do it myself if I wanted to appease my cravings.  So I thought how hard can it be.

The first hurdle was finding some meat to give it a go.  Who would have know walking into a butcher and asking for a Boston Butt was going to end up with so many quizzical looks, I may have well been speaking Spanish.  That said with a few stick figures of pigs, and a lot of hand gesturing I walked away with something that was pretty much on the mark - well I think so anyway.

Then it was making up something that was pretty close to Jan's Dry Rub.  A good rub and then into the fridge for a day and clip seal bag.

I couldn't sleep that well so I ended up getting out of bed at 1 in the morning and stoking up the smoker.  warmed it up to 225F and programmed the PID for an IT of 190F.  Four hours of smoke of Special Blend and water change.  A fair bit of foot tapping and fighting every urge to open her up and admire my handy work - which in reality was not all that handy at all

If you are looking you aren't cooking - never has a truer word been said.

After what was 15 hours in the smoker it was for two hours of FTC then it was pulling time.

I went for a BBQ sauce to finish the deal, pulled pork sandwiches for me

All ready to start

Cocked and ready to rock

Four hours in

Eight hours in

After 2 hours FTC

The finished product

SamuelG

OZ,

Great job, it looks amazing! :)

That smoker won't look like that for long.... Once you start smoking you can't stop!

Well done.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

devo

Great start for your first pulled pork but that smoker is just to shiny  ;)

3rensho

Excellent looking pulled piggy.  Great job!
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

SouthernSmoked

Dang OzSmoker - that all looks soooo good! Nice job!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

mikecorn.1

Nice smoke. Congrats. Smoker getting a nice Lil tan on it.

---
- Mike.
Mike

Quarlow

Nice looking "Shredded Oink". Now I have a craving. But we haven't had any sales on blades here lately. Doh.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ghost9mm

Well done my friend, y'all got some real nice lookin bark on that butt...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Great job Oz!  BTW, Jan as in "Jan's Dry Rub" is my wife.  Hope you enjoyed the Rub.

muebe

Nice job OZ!

Just so you know the temp probe for your PID should be located below the meat and not above. And the lowest rack of meat when smoking with more than one shelf. You are going to get the wrong temp reading if you leave it above the meat due to the heat absorption of the meat ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

Looks great!  But I was about blinded by the inside of that smoker...   

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

mikecorn.1

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 03, 2011, 07:12:55 AM
Looks great!  But I was about blinded by the inside of that smoker...   

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
LOL.

---
- Mike.
Mike

beefmann

Quarlow

Quote from: muebe on September 03, 2011, 07:11:53 AM
Nice job OZ!

Just so you know the temp probe for your PID should be located below the meat and not above. And the lowest rack of meat when smoking with more than one shelf. You are going to get the wrong temp reading if you leave it above the meat due to the heat absorption of the meat ;)
Good eye Muebe, nice catch.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ccfdmike