Alabama White BBQ Sauce

Started by ChefBill, March 05, 2005, 10:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefBill

<b>Thought some of you folks might like this sauce</b>  I've used it for the past 40 years when I want something with a real "Zing".[^]

This traditional Alabama Barbecue Sauce is based on Mayonnaise and not tomato sauce, or any of the other traditional barbecue sauce bases. Like many barbecue sauces you want to apply this only at the very end of your grilling or smoking. It will breakdown and seperate if it is heated too long. Use this barbecue sauce on chicken and turkey. It is also good on pork. Alabama White Barbecue Sauce has a tangy flavor that is a great addition to grilled foods.
INGREDIENTS:

1 cup mayonaise
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
PREPARATION:

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using. Brush lightly over chicken, turkey or pork during the last few minutes of grilling. This barbecue sauce is also great as a <u>dipping</u> sauce so set some aside before you start grilling to serve on the table.   ChefBill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

Crazy Canuck

Thanks CB I have printed this recipe and am going to try it tommorrow.

Addicted to Smokin[:p][:p][:p]
Dan R @ Fort St.John BC

BigSmoker

I like this version as well[:D]

BigSmokers Version

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

ChefBill

Jeff,
 Bob Gibson used it in the early '40s and he has used it in his BBQ restaurant in Decatur AL every since.. I was borned and raised only about 10 miles from his place and probably ate it the first time in the late 40's... I remember when Gibsons was no bigger than 1/2 my house & half that was the smoke house & kitchen...[;)] Only had about 10 four person tables. [:p] Just proves good BBQ gets a reputation..
Big Bob Gibson now sells it in grocery stores, Have seen it at WalMarts off and on. The home made version is much better than the bottled. I agree, it sure has a real "Zing"[:0] with vinegar. I tend to cut back on the Vinegar a bit myself. Like it on Chicken but not really on pork. Bill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

oguard

ChefBill that sauce sounds awesome [:p][:p].It might lend itself well to some nice grilled fish[;)].So many things to try [:)].

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>[8D]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Chez Bubba

How can you go wrong when you start out with "1 cup mayonaise"?[:p][:p][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

Chef Bill,
I originally saw the sauce mentioned in Steve Rachlins BBQ USA.  It sounded interesting so the wife and I experimented with it and came up with that recipe.  You can sub rice wine vinegar for a little more subdued flavor.  I sell the bottled stuff in my store but your right the homemade is better.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.