My 1st pork shoulder butt roast ???

Started by deadeye, March 06, 2005, 01:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

1st of all my belly is full today from the ribs I cooked man them babies are good. Also I threw 5 ears of corn on there wrapped with butter and garlic salt and then wrapped in aluminium foil man that stuff is good!

Tomorrow is the big day for me. I went ahead and bought a pork butt. I used the marinade that is on the Bradley home page the one where you use apple chips to smoke with. It ways 7.25 lbs. I have been marinading it since 11.00am today and I have been using my cajun injector every 2 hours to make sure all the butt has flavor. Any ideas on what temp I should cook this thing and for how long?? Also should I smoke it for a few hours then wrap it in aluminium foil to keep the moisture in?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys help out alot to us newbies!!!!!!!!!!!![:)][:)]

Thanks again and smoke on!!!!!!!!!

Derek

BigSmoker

deadeye,
I would cook the PB @ 225°f until the internal temp is 190-200°f.  Do the FTC for 2 hrs.  The pork should basically pull apart into nice strands after an 1-2 hr FTC.  Cooking time will vary but probally 1 1/2-2 hrs per pound.  I'm not fimiliar with the Bradley recipe but IMHO stop injecting it.  It is possible you will make the meat mushy.  If I inject a boston butt I do it one time 12-24 hrs prior.  Make sure you rub the outside with at least salt and pepper(again I'm not sure what the Bradley recipe calls for).  Apply smoke for 4-6 hrs.  No need to wrap with foil.  Plenty of moisture will be retained.  Make sure you crack the top vent 1/4-1/3 to let excess moisture out.  Have fun and let us know the results[:D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

deadeye

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

3rd rack from the top or the the 2nd rack from the top.

deadeye

Thanks guys I did 3rd.

Thanks again

Derek

deadeye

Smokehouse,Bigs or anyone????? My pork butt is looking good so far. WHen I go to the food to cooler thing do I just wrap it in a dry or damp towel for 1 to 2 hours. Forgive me if that is a dumb question and thanks for all the help. Ive been keeping the temp between 200 and 225. It seems to burn a little hotter when the puck is pushed on the burn plate.

Thanks again

Derek Canada

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

wrap it in foil and if you have some apple juice . put some on your butt [:D] ah i mean your pork butt. then wrap with a dry towel then into your ice chest, no if you are going to eat it say 4 hours later and want to hold the temp of your meat longer , preheat your ice chest with hot water for 20 min then pour out the water dry it off throw your FTC butt in there. it will stay hot for about 6 hours, untill ready to eat.

deadeye

Just checked internal temp, it was 157. Do you think it will get to 190 by 3 pm. Thats 3 more hours. my wife has to leave for work at about 4pm so I need to put it in the FTC first for about an hour. I will not open it again just changed the water for the last time and no more smoke anyways. Bradley reads about 200 right now. I turned it up just a hair. I dont want to rush things. If it is ready than fine. I hope it is for her sake might not me any left when she gets back from work LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I have some lima beans in the crock pot plus I am baking a red velvet cake and I am going to put pineapple links on top when I take it out. Oh forgot I am making rice too to go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

Derek Canada

BigSmoker

Derek,
The Boston Butt will stall for a while while the collagen breaks down.  Sometimes the temp even goes back a little.  Don't worry it will get there.  I would bump the temp to 225° and wait until it hits at least 190° before taking it off.  Remember one thing about good Q---> its done when its done[:D]  Have fun.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

deadeye

Thank you everyone on the board for all your help. This was the best damn pork butt I ever had. It had like a glazed outside, and was so tender and juicy on the inside I could not believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!. i used the recipe that is on the home page and used apple chips. I am going to try and right everything down I did because it was that good. It was totally awesome. I took some pictures of it but I don't know how to post pictures yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again guys

Derek Canada