Thanksgiving Day Turkey - Need Help....

Started by Jefe-Weizen, November 17, 2005, 11:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefe-Weizen

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck smoking a larger turkey in the Bradley?  I have a 20 pounder and was hoping I could smoke it for 3 or 4 hours and just pop it into the over to finish?  

I don't really see a "Thanksgiving Turkey" basics on here so I thought I better ask.  Any suggestions are helpful.

bsolomon

If you aren't relying on the Bradley to fully cook the turkey, then the rule of thumb would be:  As long as you can fit it inside, then go ahead and smoke it for 3-4 hours and then finish it in the oven as you would normally (i.e., up to the same internal temperature).  You shouldn't have any problems.  If you do a search for "turkey" you will probably find a few threads dealing with larger birds.  there are a couple of methods that help them cook more evenly and fit better inside, such as halving the bird or partially splitting and tieing in a certain way.  But again, if you aren't going to finish in the Bradley, Just smkoe and transfer and then finish as normal.

Jefe-Weizen

Thanks for the quick reply.  I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot....maybe drip bacon over it for awhile as well...I'll post the results!

JJC

Welcome, Jeff!  I'm sure your bird will be great, but let us know . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA