Newer than new

Started by flatheads4ever, July 22, 2010, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatheads4ever

Good morning!
I just got my new Bradley (I started out on a Old Smokey but didn't like the results) but I am still waiting for my first delivery of bisquettes. Not being overly patient I thought I'd try to make some of my own pucks. I had some leftover cedar scraps about a 1/2 inch thick and I used a 2 1/2 inch hole saw to size the pucks and after some experimentation discovered that I needed to drill 9-10 holes in each puck to get it to smoke properly. I also used some leftover cedar shakes from a recent roofing job and used them for puck cutting. I'm looking for some reassurance that this isn't crazy thinking.
I used my homemade pucks to hot smoke a piece of salmon last night. I tried to follow Kummock's recipe knocked down for the fact that I didn't have 20 pounds of salmon at 110, 150 and 175 for an hour each and it came out pretty dry-still edible but not what I had expected.  great smoky flavor though.

pensrock

I have heard of people cooking on  cedar planks but never heard of anyone smoking with cedar.  ???
Welcome to the forum.  :)

TestRocket

Welcome flatheads4ever,

I can't help you much about fish and have seen a thread lately about cutting your own pucks but have never tried that. But what I can say is once you get the Bradley pucks in hand help is but a question away. We like to help and we love PICS of what you cook. Good luck!

Uncle Pigfat

Drying out meat is how we learn. Or at least how i learned.  I dried out plenty of ribs prior to stumbling onto this forum. Keep trying!  And welcome!

Bradley (Head Office)

Hello Flatheads

QuoteI had some leftover cedar scraps

Here is a article I saved with regards to smoking with cedar.

QuoteCan you Smoke Meat with Cedar Wood
The simplest answer to this question is: Sure!  But you'd be crazy to do it!  Cedar is a kind of wood that has a lot of resin (oils) directly in the wood itself.  This makes it perfect for building or shingles for your house because it takes forever to rot.  However, as a source of smoke for smoked meat products, it is really nasty.

If you use cedar as the source of smoke for your smoking efforts you'll end up with a meat product that tastes pretty much like turpentine.  Not only will it be impossible to eat, it will probably be at least a little toxic.  The same is true for any other wood that is in the "Evergreen" category - Pine, spruce, fir, hemlock, redwood and others.

This doesn't mean that cedar can't be used in your smoking and barbequing efforts.  Many people use cedar planks when they smoke or barbeque fish - in particular Salmon.  Basically you soak a clean 1 inch thick board that is about 8 inches wide and 12-16 inches long and then lay the fish on it during the cooking process.  This allows some of the cedar flavour to enter the fish, and protects it from the direct heat of a barbeque.  If you do this, just be really sure to get good clean wood and be 100% absolutely sure beyond any doubt at all that it isn't pressure treated wood made to look like cedar.

Brian

BuyLowSellHigh

In addition to the info Brian posted, be sure those shakes are just plain. untreated cedar.  Most made for roof applications are treated with a flame retardant and should NEVER be used for food applications.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

flatheads4ever

Thank you both for that info on cedar. I won't make anymore pucks out of shingles and I'll save the cedar planks for the grill.

TestRocket

Great catch there Bradley! ;D

OmahaBen

The chemicals used is cedar shingles can pose a serious health concern, with some of them having the ability to accumulate in your system over time.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: flatheads4ever on July 23, 2010, 05:18:23 AM
Thank you both for that info on cedar. I won't make anymore pucks out of shingles and I'll save the cedar planks for the grill.

If it were me, when you get your Bradly bisquettes in, I would give the smoker and extra long seasoning to help eliminate

what ever was put in there by the cedar.

BTW, I have an Old Smokey Smoker and Love that thing, but Not as much as my Bradley.

BuyLowSellHigh

All of this brings up a good point - if you're going to use "lumber" cuts or construction wood of any kind for smokingfood, be sure you know what you have.  Many woods are treated for various reasons (anti-fungal, mildew and mold resistance, fire, etc.) with stuff that you don't want in your smoking wood.  Much of it is unmarked on the individual pieces or may have been lost on a cut.  If you don't know, don't use it.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

First off, let's discuss what wood you are actually asking about - Cedar.  You are likely referring to Western Red Cedar - which is not actually a cedar.  It is an arborvitae (Thuja plicata) from the cypress family.  Easter White Cedar - is not actually a cedar either - it is also an arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis).  Tennessee or Eastern Red Cedar from around here (Tennessee) isn't a cedar either - its a juniper (Juniperus virginiana).  I don't think there is a native cedar to North America or South America for that matters.  And you don't see much true cedar in the US unless it is around cigars and humidors.  There is conflicting information about the toxicity of WRC (Western Red Cedar).   Some say it contains more toxins that EWC or ERC.  Some say just the opposite.  But the information is based largely on the extracted oils (contain Thujone) or the breathing of quantities of sawdust.  I always use a respirator when I am turning and sanding "cedar".  Just cutting I don't bother, but turning and sanding throw up a lot of fine sawdust.  I'm not sensitive to it's effects, but I know some guys that just cannot work it.  However, have not read much on the smoke of the wood.  The warning are probably there because of the warnings on the oil and the breathing of sawdust.  I have used it in grilling before and for smoking of fish.  Definitely a different flavor.  Agreeable on fish, beef, pork, and lamb.  Terrible on chicken.  But then again, I drink quite a bit of Lapsang souchong tea.  And have partaken of a Retsina or two.  

One complaint about using it is that it pops, - but then again so does lump charcoal (particularly oak) and mesquite.  If you are afraid of smoking with "cedar", then you should be aware of cooking on planks.  Much the same process happens, just in a little less time frame.    How else does the smoky cedar flavor get to the meat?  If camping in a forest of pine, hemlock, spruce, fir, "cedar" or other conifer, what does one do for a campfire or cooking fire if you don't use gas or bring your own wood or charcoal - you use what's there.  Had many fires of pine, pinon pine, spruce, fir, etc... and cooked over them.  And I would think the Indians of the NW especially also did to.  With that said, I also have not slow smoked a brisked or butt with it either.  That might not be very good.

I will not recommend trying it, because of the warnings - but it is not likely to kill you - I'm still standing.  However, be careful of shingles especially - some are treated for fire resistance.  It's pretty nasty stuff.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Here is my total knowledge when it comes to smoking with cedar.  Everything I have read and heard about smoking says "if it's an evergreen don't smoke with it because of the high oil content".

Don't say nothing about untreated cedar planks for hot grilling.  BIG difference in my opinion.

I'm just saying........

Habanero Smoker

When I fire up my grill I often use the plank grilling method I often I will use cedar planks for fish; it gives the food a nice subtle smoke flavor. There is a difference from plank smoking, which the planks are several inches above the coals and usually indirect heat is used; then placing the cedar directly on the coals, or using cedar as a fuel source.

Placing cedar directly on the coals, or using it as a fuel source can produce more chemical compounds and different chemical compounds. I've never used cedar in this manner, so I can't answer about the final taste. But for plank grilling the flavor is outstanding when used with fish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)