European wiener/Vienna sausage recipe

Started by Northern_Smoke, May 04, 2014, 08:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on May 07, 2014, 06:07:48 PM
NS,
The reason I asked what might be missing is that I've been on a quest since I started making my own sausage and hot dogs for a recipe that will create a hotdog from my childhood. I will know immediately if I taste it. My grandparents and my parents were from Chicago and they used to get these kosher hotdogs (true kosher)that were in a small hog casing, so they were a larger diameter and the spice combo was exquisite. I don't know if the spice combo was ethnic and regional. They had a snap when you bit into them because of the natural casing and were quite red in color, so that would mean paprika. I sometimes dream of these at night. Seriously.

part of your quest could have to do with your casings, true kosher would not have a hog casing, it should have something kosher like sheep casings. You might check with a kosher deli if you know of one they might have an idea of what you got as a kid.

Northern_Smoke

Thanks for all the info. I have ordered sheep casings and am going to try the one recipe I found with cardamom. I only plan on making a 2.5 pound batch so I have something to taste and a starting point to modify from if need be.

I always test fry a small sample just to see if my salt levels are on par. I find that frying does not give a true taste of how the end product taste only rather a very rough estimate. So I believe I won't know truely how close I am until they are finished and cooled.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Northern_Smoke

Well I went with the recipe I posted a link to earlier. I ran out of time to stuff which isnt a problem because my sheep casings didn't show up today. If they are not here tomorrow I will make them in collagen casings but not finish them in the Bradley. I fried up a test piece and the texture seemed good but I think it will need more salt. Time will tell. I should have a report back tomorrow.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Saber 4 on May 09, 2014, 10:15:28 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on May 07, 2014, 06:07:48 PM
NS,
The reason I asked what might be missing is that I've been on a quest since I started making my own sausage and hot dogs for a recipe that will create a hotdog from my childhood. I will know immediately if I taste it. My grandparents and my parents were from Chicago and they used to get these kosher hotdogs (true kosher)that were in a small hog casing, so they were a larger diameter and the spice combo was exquisite. I don't know if the spice combo was ethnic and regional. They had a snap when you bit into them because of the natural casing and were quite red in color, so that would mean paprika. I sometimes dream of these at night. Seriously.

part of your quest could have to do with your casings, true kosher would not have a hog casing, it should have something kosher like sheep casings. You might check with a kosher deli if you know of one they might have an idea of what you got as a kid.

True story on the hog casings Saber, they would not have been hog casings. I was thinking of the casing size I use when I make my hot dogs. I no longer live near Chicago(west coast) where my folks grew up and the ethnicity of the neighborhoods shift over the years.(it's been 50 years) It would be fun to do some exploring If I ever got back there.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Northern_Smoke

Well my sheep casings showed up today so this test batch is stuffed and in the smoker. Hopefully by the end of the day I will have something to report back :)

Saber 4

I'm looking forward to hearing about your results and seeing the final recipe when you get it tweaked the way you remember. There's nothing more satisfying than recreating a sausage from taste memory and getting it right.

cobra6223

NS....What size sheep casing did you use and please hurry as the excitement of finding out how it worked is killing me. Thanks Tim

pjplovedog

Quote from: Northern_Smoke on May 09, 2014, 10:37:13 AM
Thanks for all the info. I have ordered sheep casings and am going to try the one recipe I found with cardamom. I only plan on making a 2.5 pound batch so I have something to taste and a starting point to modify from if need be.

I always test fry a small sample just to see if my salt levels are on par. I find that frying does not give a true taste of how the end product taste only rather a very rough estimate. So I believe I won't know truely how close I am until they are finished and cooled.
I agree with you on this point.  I think the best use of this is to check for salt levels.  Other spices seem to really bloom after the stuffing/aging/smoking processes are complete.  I made a sausage with tarragon in it and thought it was a perfect level when I tested the small sample, but after stuffing, packing, freezing, etc we could barely taste the tarragon in the finished product.  Next time, of course, I'll add lots more knowing that it might mellow over time.

Let us know how your sausages turn out!!!

Northern_Smoke

Sausage was made and the tasting has happened. First things first is my instinct was to cut back on the mace but I made it as the recipe stated so I had a base line. Turns out I was right and should have cut it back. Secondly it needed more salt. I found it a bit lacking which maybe threw off the rest if the taste. And thirdly, this recipe called for flour to be added and I think I would eliminate that next time. It gave it a funny texture. It almost tasted light an airy. I am not sure how to describe that one but it just wasn't right. I think I will actually eat a few more pieces just to see if I can pinpoint the spice changes since I already know the other few thing I would change.

One thing I did wonder about was maybe it felt airy because of the food processor step and not the addition of flour. It's something I will have to test out.

Saber 4

Sounds like you've got a good baseline and a direction to go with the next batch.

cobra6223

NS
Maybe instead of using flour as your thickener what about using NFDM as the binder? Keep us informed and keep up the good detective work.

Northern_Smoke

That's what I was thinking. I will try the NFDM along with the few other changes I noted. Hopefully that will get me closer.