New Member - 2nd Smoke Attempt With Bradley

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, June 14, 2009, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi all from Wisconsin.

Just want to say thanks to every one who posts on this forum. My first smoke attempt making ribs with my new Bradley didn't turn out to good. Should have found this forum first. For my second smoke I did yesterday I made Hab's Canadian Bacon and ribs again following 10.5's advice. Both turned out great!!  ;D

Here are a couple of pic's.

In the Smoker

Done and sampled.

The ribs were perfect for my taste.

Once again thanks for the help making the 2nd try a huge success.
HawkeyeSmokes

Gizmo

Very tasty looking, but you forgot to send out the invites.   :D
Of course I see you didn't make enough for several hundred of your closest new friends.   8)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Looks great Hawkeye!  8)

Congrats!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Great looking grub! Now lets get some color in that smoker!

HawkeyeSmokes

I know, it's pretty bright. But it's a little darker once this smoke got done.

Just can't say enough good about this forum. My first smoke of ribs was so poor that I was thinking I made a bad choice in smokers. But after the 2nd smoke with all the info from here, it was the right one. The girlfriend said the ribs were the best she has had. Guess I should have been reading up sooner. But as we all know, a guy hates to ask for directions.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Smokin Soon

Hawkeye, my wife used to complain about the hours I spend cruising this forum, our recipe sight, as well as others for sauces, rubs, spices, sausage stuff. And now she just says "what's next"!  ;D
I browsed the forum for a month or 2 before I even bought one.

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Congrats there Hawkeye. Glad things worked out for you. What part of Cheddarland do you live in?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Thanks 10.5 And thanks for the tutorial on ribs. They sure turned out good following your advice.
I live in Mondovi which is a small town 20 miles south of Eau Claire.
HawkeyeSmokes

Caneyscud

Hawkeye

Great job - and a mixed smoke at that!  Not always easy to pull off.  I'd have loved to have gotten my lips around some of them ribs! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on June 15, 2009, 08:20:26 AM
Thanks 10.5 And thanks for the tutorial on ribs. They sure turned out good following your advice.
I live in Mondovi which is a small town 20 miles south of Eau Claire.

I'm about 25 miles SW of Dubuque in Cascade.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bobbert

HawkeyeSmokes - Welcome to the world of smoking!!

I live in the land of cheese as well, West Bend and I too am new to smoking, I have a few briskets and butts under my belt.  But next is ribs, so can you share what worked well for your ribs.

Welcome and smokem if you gottem!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi Bobbert,

I was just in West Bend 2 weeks ago for work.

For ribs, I would follow the directions from 10.5 this is a direct link to that.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581

Allow plenty of time as I found out the hard way. My first smoke of ribs wasn't to good. But the 2nd was great. Tender and moist, just what I was looking for. Used apple pucks for the smoke and taste was very good.

Have fun with it and let me know how they turn out.

HawkeyeSmokes

RocketSurgeon

Welcome Hawk,

I just took the rib plunge myself on Sunday-turned out fantastic.  I had read the instructions that 10.5 wrote up and that does help a lot, thanks for the guidance 10.5.

I did a rack of babybacks.  3 hours of smoke, 1.5 Jim Beam and 1.5 hickory.  Into a foil pan with apple juice and back in until IT was 185-about 1.5 hours.  Then out of the foil, sauce, and back in for an hour.  The meat pulled back about 1/4" on the bone, I wanted to give it more time but we were starved.  We ate them and they were very tender but not fall off the bone tender.  My wife probably would have preferred them to cook another 30 to 45 minutes.  We both agreed though, they were the best ribs I have ever made! 

The other thing I did for the first time was make my own sauce.  This was a huge success, which surprised me.  I thought it should be harder to make a good BBQ sauce...But it started with a cup of Jack Daniel's so how could it go wrong!  I went into it knowing I was going to pitch the homemade sauce and go back to Corky's, but it was really good.   

The thing I question is when someone says cook at 210, should that be the highest point of the temp range, the average temp, or the low point???  Not having enough experience, I default to low and slow.  So I think most of my cooking times have been on the long side.  But I haven't had a bad smoke yet, thanks mostly to this site. 

Glad you are having success as well.  Now if I could just remember to take some pictures before we start eating...I'll have to work on that.