Chicken Wangs Oil vs SRG

Started by SnellySmokesEm, January 24, 2011, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I have been talking to a friend that loves to make chicken wings about getting together and cooking wings.  It kind of a friendly argument because he is an oil man and I'm an infrared guy.  So I was invited over to his house to deep fry about 20lbs of wangs.  I am a huge fan of nekkid wings but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bring some mies along and see what that stuff does in an oil fryer.  My friend makes his own wing sauce and I havent gotten the recipe out of him yet, but I can tell there's butter, hot sauce, and honey in it.
Here we are heating up the oil

Some of the wings taking a bath in the oil

Hot Wings

Mild Wings

The chicken breaded with mies and dusted with a little Gun Powder

Mies Wings

Man I ate so many wings last night!  The Mies was awesome.  I still prefer them nekkid, but dang they were good.  We also tossed the some of the mies wings in the hot sauce.  The breading helped soak up some extra sauce and my friend really liked the breading.  He liked it so much I left him the rest of the mies that I had so he could try it on some fish.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

KyNola

Man, do those ALL look good.  I love wings and you have just made me very hungry!  I like the color of the Mies wings.

Jim O

Anyone know if Mies is available in Canada ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

3rensho

Man that looks good.  Got me drooling!!  I loves dem wangs  ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

OU812

Man O man, them all look grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

I'm a wing man and can eat 5 lb with out stopping.

The Mies does brown up nicley in oil, might have to fry next time.

SnellySmokesEm

Made some SRG wings last night.  I'm still trying to perfect my garlic Parmesan wings and after these wings were done I realized that I'm not even close...
They looked good but they were not what I was hoping for.   ???  >:(
12 wings
Dusted with Gunpowder and marinated in Crystal
Sauce:
3/4 stick butter
2 cloves garlic
1/4C of leftover marinade

Here are the wings right out of the SRG

Tossed in the sauce without the parm cheese

Fresh grated parmesan cheese added

All plated up with Ranch

Not sure what happened but they were not that good.  I had not cleaned/scraped the SRG's cooking chamber in a few cooks so I did that first.  After I cleaned it out I seasoned again for 15 minutes then added the chicken with about a 1/2 cherry pellets and cooked for about 40 minutes.  They tasted as if they were burnt (I assure u they were not).  Maybe I didn't burn all the oil in the chamber or maybe it was the pellets. (First time using cherry)  Oh well, there's always next time!

BBQ Evangelist

TestRocket

All the wings look good, sorry that last batch didn't turn out!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OU812

Whats that old saying?

If at first you dont succeed try and try and try and try and try and try again.  ;D

Ka Honu

I may have missed it but I still am looking for the answer to the following question:

If you made one batch of wings all the same and split them between the deep fryer and the SRG, which would you prefer?

SnellySmokesEm

KH - I prefer oil for the crispiness  (as long as its not at my house, I'm not paying for the oil, and I am not cleaning up) and the SRG for the convenience.  I have had oil fryers in the past and I would never trade the SRG for any of them.
BBQ Evangelist