Brunswick Stew

Started by MrsHoss, January 16, 2010, 11:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsHoss

1/2 boston butt (about four to five pounds)
2.5 lbs irish potatoes peeled and diced
3/4 lb sweet onions diced
32 oz HUNTS ketchup NO SUBSTITUTIONS
16 oz whole kernel corn
16 oz creamed corn

Slice butt across the grain about 1 to 1.5 inches thick, removing bone.  Place meat and diced onions in crock pot, cover with water and cook on med over night.  Remove meat and shred.   Put pork and broth into a large pot and bring to a boil.  In a separate pot, cook diced potatoes until almost done and drain.  Add all of the ingredients except creamed corn into broth and cook at medium low heat for about an hour stirring periodically.  Last add the creamed corn and bring back up to a boil.  I add salt, pepper and garlic to taste in everything I cook so season to taste.  If you add to many seasonings it probably wont be as good.  The original recipe called for 2.5 lbs chicken Quarter and 2.5 lbs ground chuck and is good but I perfer the flavor of the pork.  It is really easy and very tasty.  I hope everyone enjoys!

classicrockgriller

MrsHoss, it sounds very good indeed.

I bet you have no trouble getting Hoss to eat out of his Number Plate.

Hoss

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 16, 2010, 11:18:26 AM

Haha, that was Hoss jrs plate.
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Hoss on January 16, 2010, 01:04:17 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 16, 2010, 11:18:26 AM

Haha, that was Hoss jrs plate.

HossJr keep eating like that and he will be BigHoss before long.

Looks good!

squirtthecat

That looks good......

Can you start with a Bradley smoked butt?

Hoss

Yeah.  I suggest catching the drippings and adding it back when you are making the broth.  Also, this stew has a sweet flavor, and I like it that way.  THe smoke might take that away.

I also wanna write in, My wife won first prize with this in a local competition!
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

MrsHoss

The leftovers cann easily too.

Mr Walleye

Great lookin' recipe Mrs Hoss!

I've put it in my "must try" file.

Thanks for sharing.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MrsHoss

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 16, 2010, 01:11:36 PM
That looks good......

Can you start with a Bradley smoked butt?

I guess that you could but the broth that is made from the butt roasting really makes the stew.  I really don't know.  I may try that next time.  It is just such a good recipe (my late grandmother's) and I would hate to change it too much.

hal4uk

MrsHoss...

Other than that nice lady that rambles on about other solar systems/dimensions...
What did Grandma have against HEINZ?   ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Hoss

Taste Heinz and Huntz side by side and you will see the difference.  Huntz is sweeter and better in the stew, imo.

MrsHoss

Quote from: hal4uk on January 16, 2010, 11:55:48 PM
MrsHoss...

Other than that nice lady that rambles on about other solar systems/dimensions...

Heinz in fine for fries, burgers, hotdogs and meatloaf but for southern Brunswick stew it doesn't measure up.  The stew should have a nice sweetness to it and if you use any other kind you would have to add some sort of sweetener (sugar, brown sugar, honey, syrup) and if you get it too sweet you'll have to add something sour (lemon juice, mustard,vinegar) which could ruin the whole recipe.  Just take my advice and don't substitute.  Sometimes women do know best!   :P :P

Tenpoint5

Quote from: MrsHoss on January 17, 2010, 08:37:26 AM
Quote from: hal4uk on January 16, 2010, 11:55:48 PM
MrsHoss...

Heinz in fine for fries, burgers, hotdogs and meatloaf but for southern Brunswick stew it doesn't measure up.  The stew should have a nice sweetness to it and if you use any other kind you would have to add some sort of sweetener (sugar, brown sugar, honey, syrup) and if you get it too sweet you'll have to add something sour (lemon juice, mustard,vinegar) which could ruin the whole recipe.  Just take my advice and don't substitute.  Sometimes women do know best!   :P :P
You should quote Caribou and say "SO THERE!!!"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

Well whouda thunk?  I knew you had to meet some certain standards to call your product "Ketchup" instead of "Catsup", but didn't realize Hunt's was that much sweeter than Heinz.  I also knew I would learn something, and I did --  Seems no one ever insists on a certain brand in a recipe "just because"; there's always a reason... ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Hal, we need to try this...     Schnuck's has sliced pork butt for 89 cents a pound, from time-to-time.  (including today)   That would save a little of the prep work.