fat up or down

Started by stc, August 14, 2008, 08:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stc

fat up or down on pork lions

FLBentRider

I would say fat up. That way the rendering fat will self-baste the loin and help keep it moist.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Ditto on that, fat side up!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

chrispy

UNANIMOUS!!!

fat side always goes up!!!  FLBR knows his fat!!!!

Chrispy

SmokeDogg

Sorry to crash the party but I'm a fat down guy! 8)

Wildcat

Always open to new ideas.  Is there a reason for your preference for fat side down?  It seems to defeat the purpose of a fat cap to me.  ???
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

SmokeDogg

Well its how you look at it.  Everyone sees it a different way.  I think that heat rising over the brisket is the primary source of drying. By using the fat cap of the brisket as a shield between the heat and the meat you will get a more tender brisket with a lot less surface drying. The meat of the brisket then sits on a slab of fat, its like a fat "hot tub".

Meat is not a sponge. All if not most of the fat from the melting cap is going to pour over and around the meat and drip off the bottom. This action will actually wash off some of your spice rub.  The idea that the fat on top is actually going to baste and pass through the brisket is just bad science.  Its going to melt from the outside in and drip right off the sides.

Just my $0.02

chrispy

with the fat cap down, the fat just goes in the drip pan.  At least that is the way I understand gravity to work.  I believe fat is heavier than air..........  IMVHO.  Maybe we need to consult Alton Brown???  Now I am curious.....

Chrispy

stc

thanks everyone did fat up in the fridge now parties tomorrow will see how they taste did the salt and water brine

La Quinta

Hey Dogg...at such a low temp....don't you think the fat would melt more into the meat then pour off the sides? Just a question?

Habanero Smoker

I smoke fat side down.

I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, what ever works for a person is fine. As  SmokeDogg previously stated there are some that smoke fat side down, for the reasons that he has stated. Others argue to smoke fat side up, because the fat (not that it seeps through the meat) will baste the meat while it renders, thus keeping it moist; moist does not mean greasy. There are others who state to start fat side down, and then flip half way through the cooking time to ensure even cooking. And there is another group that states flip the brisket ever so often and baste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Habs...you don't think the underside of the fat seeps into the meat? I understand the top/sides...melt off...just looking to learn?

SmokeySmell

The last brisket I did was a 9lb packer cut in half, I smoked it for 14 hours fat side up the entire time @ 200deg, no basting, then wrapped in foil and put back into the smoked set to arounf 150 deg and left for 6-7 hours.

The entire brisket was so tender it turned into pulled brisket and it was still moist not one part was dry.

I got lucky.