Pork Jerky, anybody try it?

Started by CoreyMac, March 18, 2011, 08:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

I was thinking about trying to do some pork jerky, has anybody done this? I was going to try a pork butt sliced thin and soak it like you would beef. Seems to me it should work exactly the same as beef.

Corey

KyNola

I would be concerned about the fat content of the pork butt.  I could see it working with a lean cut like a trimmed pork loin or tenderloin.

CoreyMac

Never thought of that, tenderloin seems like it should work ok.

Corey

NePaSmoKer

It will. Just put some cure wit it even if your going to dehydrate it.

SoCalBuilder

I look forward to seeing the results. Some people seem to make turkey work, so why not pork.

Nepas, can you explain what the cure does to the meat? I've never quite gotten a good handle on what it does for you.
Thnx :)

CoreyMac

The wifes heading to the store later today, I told her to grab a tenderloin. I'll slice it up tonight, let it soak overnight and give it a try.
The amount of cure#1 should be the same as for beef I would think.

Corey

KyNola

You're correct.  The amount of cure would be the same for beef or pork.

SoCalBuilder

Oh Corey, I forgot....Pics Please :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on March 18, 2011, 08:50:50 AM
I look forward to seeing the results. Some people seem to make turkey work, so why not pork.

Nepas, can you explain what the cure does to the meat? I've never quite gotten a good handle on what it does for you.
Thnx :)

Nitrates prevent the transformation of botulinum spores into toxins thus eliminating the possibility of food poisoning.
Nitrates prevent rancidity of fats.

The Nitrate is the Mother that gives birth to the Baby (nitrite). Pure sodium nitrite is an even more powerful poison than Nitrate as you need only about ⅓ of a tea-spoon to put your life in danger, where in a case of Nitrate you may need 1 tsp or more. So all these explanations that nitrite is safer for you make absolutely no sense at all. Replacing Nitrate with nitrite eliminates questions like: Do I have enough nitrite to cure the meat? In other words, it is more predictable and it is easier to control the dosage. Another good reason for using nitrite is that it is effective at low temperatures 36-40° F, (2-4° C), where Nitrate likes temperatures a bit higher 46-50° F, (8-10° C). By curing meats at lower temperatures we slow down the growth of bacteria and we extend the shelf life of a product.

Hope this helps some.

3rensho

And what about the old Trichina worm? 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: 3rensho on March 18, 2011, 10:16:50 AM
And what about the old Trichina worm? 

Well unless your into eating large amounts of raw uncooked uncured pork i dont think i would worry bout a worm.

KyNola

I don't think there has been a documented case of Trichinosis in the U.S. in the last 25-30 years.

OU812

The Trichinellaspiralis worm dies at 137 F and cooking to 154 to 160 F will deffently take care of them if there were any.

This worm is also found in wild game.

Just throwin this out there.  ;D

Scotty-G

At our local costco they carry a Asian style Pork Jerky that is a little more on the moist side but is quite good.
Looks like thin slices of very lean pork.

3rensho

QuoteI don't think there has been a documented case of Trichinosis in the U.S. in the last 25-30 years.

According to Wiki -

QuoteThe incidence of trichinosis in the U.S. has decreased dramatically in the past century. From 1997 to 2001, an annual average of 12 cases per year were reported in the United States.

Does seem like your chances would be pretty good.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.