Pizza Pics!

Started by Smoking Duck, December 14, 2008, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

OK....my first real try at homemade pizza from scratch (from the dough to the sauce).  The first pizza was for the kids....had smoked pepperoni, homemade canadian bacon, mushrooms and smoked mozzarella.  The first pic is pre-bake, the second is after being in a 450 oven for 18 minutes:

The second one was for Momma and had the above ingredients plus black olives.

All in all, a pretty good success (at least by Momma and the Yard Apes standards).  The only thing I would do differently is make the sauce a day ahead of time as I kind of had to rush the sauce cause the family was hungry.  They all liked the sauce but I wish I would have had more time for the flavors to marry together.  I will also do a batch of sauce with some heat next time or at least add some japs to the pizza.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Very nice SD, nothing better than homemade!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Looks great SD!

Ya can never go wrong with pizza, especially loaded with smoked goodness!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Wow ! Canandian Bacon, smoked cheese. You out - Hazeled me on that one. Best I have done is Boboli !

deb415611

Smoking Duck

Thanks all........ I'll never buy another pizza again.  We have some some really good pizza joints around here, but that pizza I made was pretty good.  Not as good yet but I'm sure I can tweak it quite a bit and get it where I want it.  Now, if I can just talk the boss into installing a wood stove in the house, I'm golden! 

If you have any ideas, Deb, I'd love to hear them.....especially, the Sicilian pizza!

My mom's family comes from Sicily!

SD

pensrock

So SD, how hard was it to make your own pizza dough?

I'd like to try it myself again sometime but always was disappointed with the crusts.

Smoking Duck

It was pretty easy Pens.  Real easy if you have a mixer or a food processor (although if you see my post under King Arthur flour, I did have a little problem with one of them; totally my fault).  In fact, the dough was a real highlight of the pizza.  If you'd like, I'll post the recipe and directions.

SD

pensrock

QuoteIf you'd like, I'll post the recipe and directions.

Sure, I'll give it a try. Although I do not have a stand mixer or food processor. Hopefully I can manage by hand.

deb415611

Pens - totally doable by hand. 

SD - I'll find the link to the pizza I made.  It's probably not authentic sicilian ,  just a rectangle.  I have a Chicago recipe too.   Actually I have links - the recipes that I use are all from pizzamaking.com

:-[   I'm tired & going to order a pizza tonight - been going pretty much non-stop since 5:45 - the kitchen has been cleaned about 8 times this weekend....  I only order about 3 times a year. 

NePaSmoKer

Real nice SD

Wanna come over and make pizza in the traeger  ;D  I'll make ya some fattys

nepas

Smoking Duck

You got yourself a deal Nepas.  I can honestly say that I'd get the better part of that deal!

SD

Smoking Duck

Quote from: pensrock on December 14, 2008, 01:16:10 PM
QuoteIf you'd like, I'll post the recipe and directions.

Sure, I'll give it a try. Although I do not have a stand mixer or food processor. Hopefully I can manage by hand.

I couldn't find the site, but I copied and pasted to a word document, so, I hope I don't offend anyone by not naming the site I got the recipe from!

Here's the recipe for the dough:

3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour warm water into a bowl. The water should be about 85 to 115° F. Test it with your hand. It should feel very warm, but comfortable. Add the honey and salt. Mix by hand (or any other method) until well blended. Add the yeast and mix some more. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of flour and the olive oil and mix until well blended. Add the rest of the flour (and any other additions) and mix well. The dough should turn into a ball. If the dough does not ball up because it's too dry, add water one tablespoon at a time until it does. If your mixture is more like a batter, add flour one tablespoon at a time. Adding water or flour as needed to get the right consistency will assure you always get a perfect dough. Just remember to do it in small amounts.

Then just toss it or roll it out to fit your pan.  I tossed mine and then put it in the oven on a pizza stone.  You can use any type of pizza pan and I'm sure it would work out just fine!

Here's the sauce I used (again, not sure what site I got it from, so my apologies if I offend):

1 (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 tsp. onion salt
1 clove garlic or 1 tsp. garlic salt
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. fennel seed
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. rosemary

Mix all ingredients; simmer 2 or 3 hours (I use a crockpot). Cool before using. Makes sauce for 2 large pizza; freezes well.

SD

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 14, 2008, 10:52:20 AM
Wow ! Canandian Bacon, smoked cheese. You out - Hazeled me on that one. Best I have done is Boboli !

You know, I am starting to come to grips with my inner Hazel!  It's starting to get a little fun!

SD

Smokin Soon

Yes Duck, the inner Hazel thing is controllable.