Newbie - 6 Rack Digital + 8kg Uncooked Boned Gammon!!!

Started by Pennoir, December 17, 2010, 08:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennoir

Hi All,

Been trawling through all your posts with interest over the last 24 hrs as ordered my Bradley yesterday and am told by the missus that it has just been delivered (i'm still in the office so itching to leave now and get it setup!!). Anyway I arrived at this point as I was in the process of ordering a Stove top smoker a few days ago as have been experimenting with curing Salmon and wanted to progress to some smoking. How I went from a $100 stove top smoker to a $500 automated monster is beyond me!! I guess my combination of keen amateur cook and gadget freak got the better of me.

Anyway, way before any of this, I had ordered my Xmas Ham (uncooked boned gammon leg approx 8kg or 17.5lb in old money!) which i normally cook in Cola and simply finish with a glaze in a conventional oven.

SO - the big question is shall i be brave and go straight into a smoke / conventional oven combo with my first attempt?? If so what recipe would you recommend i follow?

I'm in England (Oxfordshire - about 30 miles west of London) and the temp is currently 25f, will be setting up under lean to in the garden or possibly in the garage which is well ventilated but probably a bit warmer at about 40f.......

I will come back with pics as soon as i have decided whether to take the plunge..... ;D

Jon

beefmann

welcome to the forum.

i would some the  ham with 3 hours of maple and finish in the bradley, at a lb an hour and if time is an issue then smoke in bradley then finish in an oven

Tenpoint5

Pennoir,
First off Welcome Aboard!! Now this Xmas ham that you ordered is it cured already or is it just a fresh ham? If it is cured we are in business for a NOT so quick smoke/cook. If it is a fresh uncured ham this could take a little longer. I am not sure exactly what you have ordered so not sure which way to direct you. Our forum recipe site has several ham recipes on it that should be able to point you in the right direction. You can find it Here
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Jim O

Welcome aboard!

Remember to season your smoker before your first smoke .

Enjoy !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !