Hi from Toronto

Started by Roncola, July 11, 2009, 06:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roncola

Hi to you all. Used my new digital smoker last night for rack of side ribs. First attempt at any kind of smoking.
All went well but puzzled by temperature setting. Recipe called for 4-5 hours at 220F but at 2 hours meat thermometer registered 160 degrees-thats well done right? Is it possible the Bradley temp readout is too low and I was cooking at a higher temperature then indicated?

KyNola

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forum.  It is more than possible that the temp readings were way off.  The BDS is famous for the temp readings to be wrong and wide temp swings.  Many of us monitor the temp in the box with a Maverick ET-73 dual probe thermometer.  It has two probes to monitor the box temp and the temp of the meat at the same time.  It also has a remote receiver so you can sit in the house and see what the temps are.

KyNola

beefmann

Hi  Roncola,

welcome to the forum, along with Ky had said, be sure that you were looking at the meat internal tempture rather then Box temp, the therometer on the front of the bradley is a box temp.. not meat temps

hope this helps

mikeradio

Welcome lots of great people and advice here, I am still learning  :)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Roncola;

Welcome to the forum.

An internal meat temperature of 160°F is too low for ribs. I don't measure the internal temperature, but when done you are probably looking at a temperature of around 185°. I generally judge by how much the meat has pulled away from the end of the bone, which is about 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch.

I was at a BBQ Festival, and a team from Toronto was competing. They were also selling their sauce. It is called Charlie's Stupid Hot Sticky Sauce. It is not all that hot, but the flavor is good. They also have a milder version. If you see it in a store you should pick up a bottle.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)