Pork Butt in the OBS

Started by Max, August 29, 2010, 05:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

It's been in there for 14.5 hours and is now at IT of 190*. I'm going to probe it with another thermometer and pull it out if it reads 190* or above. BRB...

Ok, 2nd IT therm is reading 181*. By the looks of the meat pulling from the bone I bet it'd be fine to FTC it now. But I'm going to wait for it to gain a few degrees hotter as I do not want to FTC it for over 5 hours.

I'll FTC with a few tablespoons of heated cran-rasberry juice and pull it apart later tonight for supper.

By the way, I put it in the smoker at 10pm last night, loaded the smoker with 2 hrs of hickory and 2 hrs of apple wood. Used an aluminum cake pan instead of the bowl, nearly full with water. Vent wide open. I woke up at 4:30am to see the smoker temp at 243* and IT of around 165*, and the cake pan completely dry! I immediately misted the butt with spray bottle of water, turned the heat down a notch and killed the smoke generator, dumped the spent pucks and put a kettle on the stove to heat up some water to boil. After a few minutes I refilled the cake pan with water. Since then the smoker temp has been mostly at 225* - 230*. Looks like it's gonna have a nice bark and by the feel of the therm probe, still nice and juicy and tender.

Max

After 16 hours it is now in FTC. It was still at IT 190* but I just decided it was time. Gonna FTC for about 3.5 hours and pull apart. Pics below are before going into the smoker with mustard slather on top of rub, into the smoker, and then just before FTC. I use wood skewers to plug thermometer holes.

SouthernSmoked

Looks good and a very nice barq.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Sailor

Looking good. Bet you are going to really like it.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Max

BuyLowSellHigh

That looks perfect!  Nice job!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SouthernSmoked

Awesome job!

Man that looks great!

Lets eat!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Quarlow

Mmmm   puulllled pooork mmmmmmmm Nice job Max
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

HawkeyeSmokes

That looks great Max!

Can I have a little coleslaw on mine please?

;D
HawkeyeSmokes

DTAggie

KyNola

Beautiful Max!  Really nice job.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Max on August 31, 2010, 08:41:37 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 31, 2010, 01:35:13 AM
Not all Sam's carry the same items.

That's right. Sam's here only has trimmed flats of brisket, not packer cuts. And I've never seen butts out on display, but never bothered to ask for them either. One thing I love about the Sam's here is the cheeses they sell are very good quality and sold in nice big blocks, perfect for smoking.

Flats are about all I can get in my area. My Sam's no longer carries flats, but I use to smoke them all the time with good results, and at that time they were not trimmed. I now order my flats from my local Price Chopper. I don't know where he gets them from, but they average 7 pounds - certified Angus.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)