Pork Loin Help

Started by Waverunner, June 17, 2010, 03:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waverunner

Hey Experts!  I need a little help with a 4 1/2 lb whole boneless pork loin.
My desired result is to brine, smoke, cut into chops and grill.
I'm planning on using a basic brine of 1 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, some herbs and spices.
Now.. here come the questions..
24 hr brine?  More / Less ? 
After the brine, should it be towel dried and left open in the fridge for a while?  I've only done chicken so far and that's what I did with that to create a pellicle, but I wouldn't think I would do that for pork, right?
If the above question is no, and I want to go straight into the OBS, do I first let it come up to room temp?
Ok, now for the smoking... I've heard anywhere from 1 hr to 4 hrs?  I'll probably use hickory.
Since I want to go straight from the OBS to the grill, should I care about internal temps in the smoker?
I'm still a rookie at this, and it would seem to be pretty simple, but I guess everyone had to have a "first" at some point.

Thanks in advance for any help, you guys/gals are awesome!

FLBentRider

I would brine 12-24 hours.

If you cut into chops before you smoke you will create more surface area for the smoke.

I wouldn't worry about the pellicle on pork.

I would start with 2 hours of smoke @225F. Depending on the load they will be about 1/2 to 3/4 done at that point. If you are going to grill I wouldn't worry about the IT from the smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Waverunner

Thanks FLBentRider!  Great suggestion on cutting into chops before the smoke.  Sometimes the obvious escapes us :)