Vtray and grease smoke

Started by kevins7189, September 03, 2013, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevins7189

My v-tray seems to be getting hot enough, especially near the element, to cause grease drips to hit it and smoke, and that smoke imparts an undesirable flavor.

Saber 4

You can put a 9x13 disposable cake pan with a little water on the lowest rack above the V tray to catch your drippings.

beefmann

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 03, 2013, 08:25:52 AM
You can put a 9x13 disposable cake pan with a little water on the lowest rack above the V tray to catch your drippings.

x2

KyNola

No offense intended but is there a chance your V tray is upside down?  It should be installed like this "v", not this "^".  Just asking.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kevin;

Welcome to the forum.

It is normal for grease to vaporize when it hits the drip tray. I find that it adds desirable complex flavors to the meat. It will becomes undesirable if you do not clean your drip tray after each cook, or if you are cooking about a cabinet temperature of 250°F or higher, at those temperatures the vapors add a burnt taste to your food.

If you tray is clean, and you are cooking under 250°F, then beefman's suggestion should work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on September 03, 2013, 08:27:20 PM
So would Saber 4's. ;)

Yeah being Saber is the actual poster. No offence to beefman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KyNola on September 03, 2013, 08:27:20 PM
So would Saber 4's. ;)

Kynola
Good catch. Kudos goes to Saber 4, and Beefman as his backup. ;)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kevins7189

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 03, 2013, 01:10:00 PM
Hi Kevin;

Welcome to the forum.

It is normal for grease to vaporize when it hits the drip tray. I find that it adds desirable complex flavors to the meat. It will becomes undesirable if you do not clean your drip tray after each cook, or if you are cooking about a cabinet temperature of 250°F or higher, at those temperatures the vapors add a burnt taste to your food.

If you tray is clean, and you are cooking under 250°F, then beefman's suggestion should work.

Tray always shiny when I use it.  I respectfully disagree about the "flavor complex" of grease smoke.  I will try the pan sitting on the lowest rack, it will reduce my capacity but oh well I guess.

Habanero Smoker

I completely understand. Flavor is subjective, and there are people do not like the flavors that are produce when juices vaporize. I have had Weber propane grills for over 25 years, and love the flavors the juices from meat, poultry, and fish produce when they hit the flavorizer bars. Grilling over charcoal is similar.

Saber 4's ;) has a good solution. If you are always running with a full load, and always need a every rack, you can foil the meat after you have applied the smoke, and use a 2" metal putty knife to quickly scrap the drip tray of build up before continuing to cook; but there are pro's and con's to that. Or you can do a search on this forum, and find out how to add extra rack rails to hold the 9 x 3 pan; so you don't loose cooking space.

I forgot to mention, keep an eye on the 9 x 3 pan, so it doesn't dry out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.