The ham virus has taken over the forum!!! Please be carefull.....

Started by punchlock, September 18, 2010, 04:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punchlock

This ham thing is extremely contagious. I was just minding my own business when someone posted a ham thread. Now I have come into contact with Tenpoints ham thread before and I was fine but I have been exposed to ham far too many times not to be stricken with the ham virus.

Well today I left Tarini Brothers Meat shop with this, I was unable to wipe the smile off my face as I drove this little feller home. Seriously I was like a giddy school girl (so the wife says).

Now it's no hamzilla I know but it is the largest thing I will have smoked (Only 23lbs).

Injected and into it's swimin pool

More to come.....

GusRobin

They are contagious. You think it is bad when you get hooked reading the threads, wait until after you make one. Before it cools you'll want another.

Take a lot of pics to satisfy our addiction
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

I'll admit I was looking at Sams today, and if they had a fresh ham, it would have went in the cart.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

BOOYAH! 

Good to see you back Punchlock.  Will be watching your progress with interest.

Tenpoint5

Now don't go blaming me for all of this!! I had NOTHING to do with it.

Punchlock, It is totally up to you but if it was me I would lift it out of the brine and remove the majority of the skin. Everything except what is around the shank (the skinny part) or just take it all off. I think that would allow for better penetration of the brine while it is soaking, and better smoke penetration when you smoke it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

punchlock

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 19, 2010, 05:54:11 AM
Now don't go blaming me for all of this!! I had NOTHING to do with it.

Punchlock, It is totally up to you but if it was me I would lift it out of the brine and remove the majority of the skin. Everything except what is around the shank (the skinny part) or just take it all off. I think that would allow for better penetration of the brine while it is soaking, and better smoke penetration when you smoke it.

Your the enabler! Your the enabler!

I will do exactly as you suggest thanks for the advice Tenpoint.

punchlock

Might have to postpone the smoke on Saturday. Will it cause me issue if this were to stay in the brine for an extra day or two? should I just rinse it off and let it build a pelicle instead or leave it in the brine?

punchlock

;D wooo hooo! no more newbie, you may now call me Junior......

SouthernSmoked

The virus has been released... Will be watching your progress with interest.

Remember to take a lot of pictures.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

unclefish

punchlock

Ok I am way behind on this project. Some unexpected things got in the way but I am back in business.

welcome to the ham motel

Is this too close to the drip tray?

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Looks like a plan but it will be in there a long time I would probably try and raise it up another 2-3 inches if you can. If not then make sure you have the ability to rotate the ham so the backside doesn't overcook on the bottom.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BuyLowSellHigh

Probably too late to be helpful but, a couple of foil lined bricks on top of the V-tray or in it in the center could serve as a decent radiant barrier to help diffuse the heat.  As it looks tome you stand a good chance of broling the bottom of that beautiful beast.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

punchlock

Well thanks for all the advice guys. The smoke took a total of 25-1/2 hours and the and result looked great. Unfortuneatly it was on the salty side :( should have fried a piece and tasted it befor I started my smoke. Oh well live and learn. It was alot of fun to do this ham and I can see many more in my futur.

Anyhow for all picture junkies, here is the final result....

this is what was there when I opened the ham motel

Just a ham in it's birthday suit

All dressed up and headed for the fridge for a long rest