My first brisket

Started by smoke em if you got em, January 16, 2011, 05:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoke em if you got em

OK so I decided that this was the weekend to try my first brisket. I was going for authentic Texas brisket with a nice bark. I had problems keeping the temp up. It never rose above 205 or so (second element would've come in handy). After almost 16 hours the internal temp hit 195 so I pulled it and started FTC. It tasted awesome and it was so tender I could have pulled it but the bark was a little squishy. I'm guessing it was the lack of proper heat in my Bradley but I thought I would ask the experts. Any advice is welcomed
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

classicrockgriller

Might need some more info to help.

Rub? Mustard Slather? Vent setting? Mop during smoke?

Honestly the 16 hour cook time is not bad especially if you got

what you said you did in a tender Brisket.

smoke em if you got em

I used a store bought rub followed by a mustard slather. I kept the vent nearly wide open for the first 12 hours or so but I adjusted it to a little more than 2/3rds closed to try to get the temp up. I did mop a couple of times. I was very happy with the taste and tenderness of the brisket I'm just looking for a crispier bark. Maybe no mopping next time? But I think I am gonna go for the 2nd heating element to help with recover times.
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG

classicrockgriller

Maybe reverse the slather/rub.

Slather first (don't get crazy with it) and then rub ...... or

no slather at all if you are going to mop.

Vent opening sounds good to me.

2nd element is always nice.

You could always set your Bark in the oven broiler after FTC.

Again ....... if you got a tender Brisket on your first try ..... You did great!

Any PICTURES?

smoke em if you got em

OK here's what I think I'll do next time. Slather first then the rub, no mopping, then the final touch will be to set the bark under the broiler after FTC. Those are great suggestions. Thanks for the help and yes I am pretty proud of myself. I had family and friends over to taste test my brisket and everyone loved it. They kept coming back for more until everyone was stuffed. And now I'm making burnt ends out of what was left. I give all the credit to this forum. I did a lot of research on here before attempting this and I think it really paid off.
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG

classicrockgriller

Read some of Pachanga's post in the recipe site and here on the forum.

He likes a lot of smoke on his briskets. (I do too)

He will smoke one for 6 to 8 hrs. Give it a rest and then start the smoke again

in what he thinks is the last 4 hrs or so. The additional smoke helps in the bark

formation in the Bradley.

So I guess no PICTURES?

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

smoke em if you got em

Oh sorry no pictures this time. I'll be sure to take some next time. Thanks again
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG

Caneyscud

Just be real careful setting the bark in the oven.   You can dry out a brisket very fast that way.  I don't so don't know the exact timing, but if you would stick in the oven to harden up the bark, be sure to take it out before the desired IT.   Then stick in the oven and monitor carefully until the final IT is gotten.  

What was in your mop.  If you are using a mop with lots of liquids, I guess that could contribute to squishy bark.  I use mops with a large % of fats.  The 205 temp shouldn't make much difference.  

Any foiling will soften the bark, even during FTC. 

Just noticed you're in College Station.  Very Kewl!  Class of 78 here. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smoke em if you got em

I used the cowboy mop recipe from Pachanga and used cooking oil instead of butter. That was probably what made the bark squishy but I was going for the extra layers of flavor they were talking about and a mop seemed like the way to go. Next time I won't use a mop and see how it's looking. Then maybe I'll finish it in the oven but I would sure hate to dry it out after all that work. I'll have to give it some thought. Gig 'em Ags!
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG

jimmyb

I have not yet added my second element to my OBS. Because of the challenge with maintaining temps with only one element, I do not mop. The recovery time is not worth the trade off. I think when I get this second element installed I will start to mop my briskets. Let us know after your next one with your modification if you see a difference.