Got a question

Started by dewy, April 12, 2007, 05:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewy

Ive been reading here for about 45 minutes and did a search but Im still not real clear what you guys are talking about.What exactly is this PID I keep reading about  ???

Arcs_n_Sparks

dewy,

A PID is a Porter Indicating Device. It shows you where your beer is.   8) 8) 8)

Actually, PID stands for: Proportional, Integrating, Derivative. It is a type of closed-looped control scheme. It differs from a traditional thermostat type of controller that is either fully on or fully off (like your house thermostat). It is used for tight closed-loop control over a process parameter (in this case, temperature).

Hope that helps....

Arcs_n_Sparks

dewy

Wow, lotta big words there :o

So your saying its used to better control the temperature of the smoker? ???

iceman

Quote from: dewy on April 13, 2007, 05:29:35 AM

Is short YES dewy.
Basically you plug it into the power source then plug the tower into the PID and stick the probe into the tower. As the tower gets closer to the desired temp the PID slowly decreases the voltage to the heat element more and more as it gets closer and closer to temp so it doesn't "overshoot" the desired temp. Neat gadget to have if you don't want to worry about temp swings if your called away for a spell for your smoking duties.

Tiny Tim

Quote from: iceman on April 13, 2007, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: dewy on April 13, 2007, 05:29:35 AM

Is short YES dewy.
Basically you plug it into the power source then plug the tower into the PID and stick the probe into the tower. As the tower gets closer to the desired temp the PID slowly decreases the voltage to the heat element more and more as it gets closer and closer to temp so it doesn't "overshoot" the desired temp. Neat gadget to have if you don't want to worry about temp swings if your called away for a spell for your smoking duties.

Isn't that the description of the Guru/Raptor?  Or the "high end" PID with Ramp/Soak?  Mine's the basic, and I think it will only keep the proper temp consistently, not decrease to match set IT.  I could be wrong though.

dewy

HMMMM, something I dont have, might have to do something about that ;)

icerat4

Dont jump on the pid band wagon so quick.I say this only because i have 2 bs and dont need pid.My 2 originals are just fine with no add ons.The temps stay well with in the guide lines when smoking.So no need to flex on the add ons.If your able to get a handle on the temps and the slider bar then i say dont bother.The biggest thing here is to relize that you only need somke 4-5 hours tops on all food.The rest is all internal temps.And with a nice temp gauge like a thermalpen your work is done.I have owned 2 bs for 2 years and believe me ive done literlly tons of stuff in this machine.Yea i did buy different temp gauges And even gave those away to folks here.All i can say is try getting use to the machine frist before dumping in money i feel is a waste.Just my 2 cents.Good luck with your new toy and happy smoking ratout. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

PigOut

I've got a digital and been noticing some wide temp swings. Will the pid help with that ? Where would you interupt the power source ? Between the gen. and the cab ? But then the digital still has control of power , or do you overide the cab temp sensor.  Did any of this make any sense ? ???

Skip

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

NePaSmoKer

Guru  ;D  ;D  ;D

nepas

Wildcat

Quote from: icerat4 on April 13, 2007, 03:40:23 PM
Dont jump on the pid band wagon so quick.I say this only because i have 2 bs and dont need pid.My 2 originals are just fine with no add ons.The temps stay well with in the guide lines when smoking.So no need to flex on the add ons.If your able to get a handle on the temps and the slider bar then i say dont bother.The biggest thing here is to relize that you only need somke 4-5 hours tops on all food.The rest is all internal temps.And with a nice temp gauge like a thermalpen your work is done.I have owned 2 bs for 2 years and believe me ive done literlly tons of stuff in this machine.Yea i did buy different temp gauges And even gave those away to folks here.All i can say is try getting use to the machine frist before dumping in money i feel is a waste.Just my 2 cents.Good luck with your new toy and happy smoking ratout. ;D

Look at it like this - The difference is similiar to a stove with knobs and a stove with digital buttons.  They both work, one costs more than the other, and some folks just like electronic toys. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Skip, the PID will help the digital. Power for tower is controlled and the SG (plus the temp read out) will still work.  It would plug into the wall seperately.  Mr Walleye has some nice postings on the PID with a digital unit.  ;) - Personally I have not had the temp swings effect anything I have smoked. Which brings you back to the IR4 comment.  Not a urgent need but may be fun someday!  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

PigOut

You are right. Never did have a real problem.(except meltdowns!) That money could go to meat !!

Skip

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

owrstrich

personal incendiary device to some...

personal inebriatory device to others...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

dewy

Quote from: icerat4 on April 13, 2007, 03:40:23 PM

I got a Maveric ET-73 just before I bought my smoker, ill probably just use it to moniter them temps for now and see what happens.

I have an old electric smoker that Ive been considering using the heating element out of and making a new housing for it, the biggest problem I had was the element was very erradic, was thinking more along the lines of trying something like this in that set up.The way I put things off though itll probably never get past the planning stage ;D