Finishing snack stix or summer sausage in oven ?

Started by Fair-chase, November 19, 2009, 06:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickWL63

Thanks Kevin.  Here's what my sticks look like as well as my Temp measuring device:

Note: I did reposition some racks and turned a few around once.  Not sure if that helped at all or what I was trying to achieve...
Is this overloaded?  I don't think it is, but as a person new to smoking, I'm not sure.
I'm hoping the temperature climbs a little faster soon.  These have been in since before noon and it is now 10:20 p.m.

Fair-chase

Rick,
     Your sticks look awful close together to me. Are they actually touching ? There needs to be some space between them to allow the heat to rise up to the upper racks. Also when using the racks I hardly ever use the bottom rack unless it's inverted. It just gets to hot. Also I almost refuse to open the door unless absolutly necessary. Every time the door is opened you let all the heat out , and it takes the Bradly along time to recover.

RickWL63

There is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 in separation between the sticks. I did know that I needed to keep them apart for a more even heating of the sticks.  I hear you about temperature recovery.  

The Bradley was not what I wanted, but is what I came home with.  I actually wanted the Cabela's Smokehouse Pro 50 or 100, but all the sales reps were touting the Bradley and they never got the Smokehouse Pro in the La Vista, NE store for comparison.  I got it on a good sale, so I cannot complain too bad about the price.  Not sure I would have laid out a grand for the Smokehouse Pro 50.

Quarlow

Hey rick the first thing I notice is that you don't have your v-tray in. This helps to get the heat to distribute evenly. I can't say what NePaS does and if it is better while doing snack sticks he will correct me as he is the master of sausage and snack sticks and pepperoni. It does look like you have overloaded your racks also. I have not delved into this snack stick sausage world yet so I am just going by what I have picked up here. The bradley is really a good smoker, your just in the learning curve, but if you let these guys help you, you will fall in love with the smoker. You just keep asking the questions and they will get you dialed in for sure. If you have checked out some of the threads from the guys on this subject you will see how well it will do for you. Don't give up, just keep at it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

marauder11

I would agree that it is over loaded. I had the same problem last batch I did.

RickWL63

Quarlow, I read several posts before I started asking questions.  There is a good half inch between each stick in the trays.  After 13+ hours in the smoker, I have pulled them to the oven.  It is after 1 a.m. here and I can't leave the smoker on the front step all night, might not be there when I get up...

From what I've read on other posts is that the v-shield is just a drip tray and since we are drying the meat at low temps it doesn't need to be in there.  Neither does the water pan after the smoke is over.  Contemplating getting a brick and putting it in the bottom as well....  Before I moved them to the oven, I did notice a 30+ degree difference in the IT of the meat at the top versus the bottom.  I would think they should be closer since the door stayed closed for most of the effort.

Quarlow

Well just from this and that I beleive the tray does help to distribute the heat evenly. Just looking at your pics it does seem as though you are getting uneven heat. The water bowl can be used the help maintain a humidity level for certain things. I am not well versed on it but I have read were it was used so as not to dry somethings out to fast. Definitely get a brick or 2 in there. I noticed a big difference when I stuck them in. I put one in the bottom beside the water dish and if I have room I will put one on the first rack or if what I am smoking doesn't drip lots I will set it on the drip tray. Another fella got a square cast iron frying pan and cut the handle of and uses it for his water pan. He says it works great as a heat mass too. Hope it works out, I am going to try my hand at sticks too in the new year.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: RickWL63 on December 12, 2009, 09:13:59 PM
There is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 in separation between the sticks. I did know that I needed to keep them apart for a more even heating of the sticks.  I hear you about temperature recovery.  

The Bradley was not what I wanted, but is what I came home with.  I actually wanted the Cabela's Smokehouse Pro 50 or 100, but all the sales reps were touting the Bradley and they never got the Smokehouse Pro in the La Vista, NE store for comparison.  I got it on a good sale, so I cannot complain too bad about the price.  Not sure I would have laid out a grand for the Smokehouse Pro 50.

Rick

I worked at Cabelas in the camping dept and the processing/smoking section was mine. I sold more Bradleys than i did any other smokers. Only got 2 back in 2 years. The Pro smoker are a knockoff of the Cookshack. I had a cookshack too (hated it)

It looks like you have a heating problem with the way the sticks are not done on one side. I have had my sticks on racks also with them almost touching and never had this problem. Also did you pre heat your smoker?

nepas

RickWL63

Quarlow, Actually, I only removed the drip tray and the water about an hour before taking the pictures, which was about 8 to 9 hours into the process.

Nepas, thanks for the info on the smokehouse pro.  I was wondering about it because they say it has a dual stage 1200-watt heating element (or something to that fact).  Yes, I did preheat the smoker and dried for about an hour and a half, but the recipe I was following said to start at 125*.  For my next batch, I will follow your lead and start at 140*.  I really don't want to give up on this smoker.  That said, how much product should I be able to put in this smoker on average?  I tried summer sausage as my first batch and had 12 of them hanging in there (approx 1.5" x 24" casings) which was about 25 lbs.  Ended up finishing them in the oven as well.  I know the smoker they used at a sausage making class I attended was complete in less than 8-hours and it was hanging 25 lbs (resembled the smokehouse pro but was a model the butcher supply store was selling for around $1,450).

BTW, finishing the sticks in the oven was complete around 7 a.m.  They look much better than the prior batch.  Cut one up to have with breakfast and everyone liked it.  Flavor was good, I did give it a 2-hour smoke with hickory.  Getting ready for church, so I will see if I can get a pic posted later today.

RickWL63

Here are pics of my finished product:

I allowed these to go a lot longer than the last batch.  They look much better even though I still had to finish these in the oven.  Next time I move the smoker behind the house vice my front step (better security).

Tenpoint5

I go with the theory that if it tastes good who cares what it looks like. Although them look pretty tasty to me
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RickWL63

They are delicious.  Just munched down on a piece of one.   :)

KevinG

Look pretty darn appetizing to me! Good job for such a big load.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

I agree they do look good. Nice job.

Wanna send some to me  :D

nepas

marauder11