Last smoke of the weekend --Whole Turkey

Started by GusRobin, September 06, 2010, 08:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterkc

very well done, I need to look up the Blachchoock-ing thingy, I am going to be doing a Chicken thurday night with the new weber. I am going to add some smoke chips to it does that count?

lol
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

wonko the sane

I'm doing my first Txgiving turkey in my Bradley. I'm a "newbie", and I don't know what "CT" is, (other than Computerized Tomography), and I don't know what "Creole Butter" is made of, or where to get it. Can you help? Thank you.
Impermanent are all things created.....Strive on in Awareness

GusRobin

CT is "Carolina Treet". It is a BBQ cooking sauce. Unless you live in the the southeast it is only available by mail order. http://www.carolinatreet.com/.

Scottie's Creole butter is something I found on a forum (not sure if it was this one or not.) I am not sure if it is an "official" product made by someone. But the recipe I got for it was:

Scottie's Creole Butter

- ½ can of beer
- ½ lb. Butter
- 1 tsp. Mr Brown's Renown rub  (the recipe for this rub can be below, but you can use any rub you like. I just happened to have this handy)
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. White Pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Coleman's Mustard
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp. Tabasco

The Renowned Mr. Brown Barbecued Pork Butt, Memphis Rub; Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
    * 1/4 cup Paprika
    * 1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
    * 2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
    * 2 tsp. Mustard, dry
    * 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
      (Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions. My main advice is to do a practice one prior to thanksgiving if you can.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

b0dhi

wow! That looks amazing!! Well done! I am going to have to try a turkey at some point.. man that looks good..  :)

wonko the sane

Thanx, Gus. I got the book;"Smoke & Spice", and on page 67, there's a recipe for KC Rib Rub. I've used it on everything from ribs, to chicken, sausage, and fish. I think it's great. I guess I should try some other rubs. I don't want to get bored. I did an 8.5 pound oven stuffer the other day. It took 4 hours in the OBS @ max heat. I used 2 hrs of assorted flavour bisquettes, topped off with 40 min of "Jim Beam" bisquettes.
After the 4 hrs., I mopped it with some Masterpiece "Spiced Caribbean Jerk" sauce, popped it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, and it was perfect. I found that using a Turkey Rack, that I got from "Yard & Pool" (it stands the bird up) seems to let it smoke more evenly, and a bit quicker. I've done 2 chickens, each about 8 lbs. I figure that they were good practice for a 12 lb turkey.I was thinking of using 2 hrs pecan, and 2 hrs hickory bisquettes. I'm also going to try a rub that doesn't use as much, or any sugar. The sausage I smoked using the KC Rib Rub, was actually better than candy. It was like having the main course, and dessert at the same time. I like it, but it's far too sweet for most people I know. My oven feels totally neglected. I barely use it for anything, since I got the Bradley. Have a smokin' day !
Impermanent are all things created.....Strive on in Awareness